1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

growth difference?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bluefeather2697, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    i have chicks hatched 1 week ago and i noticed that 4 of them already have full wing feathers that overlaps their vent area and already has half centimeter tail feathers and the remaining 3 of them still looks like day old with slow wing development and no tail. although some chicks came first in hatching, the overall duration of their hatching from first to last is about 6 hours. im really confused. [​IMG] [​IMG] can this give me a clue of what gender they are? by the way, they are leghorn cross. (leghorn roo and australorp hen) [​IMG][​IMG]

here is their pic when they are all DAY-OLD.
    [​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    In some breeds, the pullets do feather in faster. I can't guarantee it, but I would guess you have 4 pullets and 3 roosters.

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    being crosses, this could also be just genetics. leghorns feather much faster than most loose feathered breeds (standard large breeds usually fall under this). Leghorns have a tighter feather plumage, not as fluffy, like games.

some may just be taking after one parent more than the other. They may also end up with different body shapes and weights too. It is also fun to see what you get in crosses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by