growth differences?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seminolewind, Oct 17, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I bought three chicks from Meyers, they are 6 weeks old now, one has a more developed tail, one has more comb, and the third seems to be the smaller, less developed, less comb. Do some develop faster than others? The third one just seems behind in everything, but all act normal. Karen

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Well, i would say say...(from my thinking) , everyone groes differently... :]

-alex-

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My buff Orps are four weeks old and two are the same size and the third is smaller then the others, she has more feathering on her head and her tail is more full then the others, but she eats less and sleeps more...seems healthy though. It's a mystery to me as to why she's smaller.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Do 6 week old pullets "challenge" eachother, face to face with neck feathers standing out?

5. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Yes, they are establishing pecking order.
    One of my Australorps grew more slowly then the other 3 chicks I had with her; she was always a little odd in personality too.

For a while I wasn't sure if she was a roo, or a banty or what, but now that they are pretty much full grown, she is still slightly smaller then my other australorp, but only a little, and she still is kinda weird, but healthy happy and laying eggs.

Sorry for the run on sentances and spelling errors [​IMG]

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I bought 20 chicks last spring. One was runty and I thought there was something wrong with her but, nope she is just fine now just a little smaller then everyone else.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, I didn't want to worry. She's a bit smaller and less developed, and she acts like that little sister that wants to go everywhere they go.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    be a good mom and make the bigger ones let her tag along. [​IMG]

9. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    My three (almost one month old) chicks are all the same age - feathering out mostly identically, etc. However, the RIR probably weighs twice with the BR chick weighs. The EE (allegedly an Araucana) is in between the other two, though perhaps slightly closer in weight to the RIR rather than the BR.

The RIR is not only the biggest, she's the least high-strung and the least stressed out by new things. The other two squawk loudly when Rhodey is take out of the cage. She is also the only one who does not try to avoid being picked up most of the time.

DH is afraid she's a roo... and I'm afraid Rocky (the BR) is a runt and might not grow to be as big as the breed chart indicates. The three of them are pretty tight, though, and they all eat well and like to chase bugs when I let them out.

10. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Mine are doing the 'challenging' thing too. It cracks me up. They remind me of sumo wrestlers, running at each other and bumping their chests. Such funny little birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by