Growth in closed water system... Help!

knabtastic

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 14, 2014
Northern Texas
We have a closed water system (as good as you can get in your backyard setting), where water is automatically pumped via outdoor faucet timer into a 5 gallon bucket (located in the coop), which feeds down to a pipe with nipples for our chickens to drink. With it being so hot out I figured I'd add some ice to the bucket as the water coming out of the nipples seems pretty warm. When I pried up the lid of the bucket I noticed a weird growth in the water. Is it algae? I'm not sure, since the bucket doesn't ever get sunlight, and we do add ACV to the water occasionally (but not in the heat as I've heard that can dehydrate chickens). I'm really grossed out by this and wondering if we've been poisoning our chickens with this nasty water! I'm going to disassemble the whole system tomorrow and clean the bucket really well. But how do I stop this from happening again?

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_201528.jpg
    IMG_20190716_201528.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 30
Ok that does look unhealthy. We have a rain barrel system and it's not really openable so for all I know there are entire ecosystems inside of it. I do put a drop or two of liquid bleach in it every other day just to keep bacteria content under control.

Hope you get that figured out and I wonder if there's any possibility of rust being part of what you're seeing? Iron rust is healthy.

This reminds me of my grandmother well water.. if it sat for a few days it would smell funny and look nasty.
I have a closed water system as well.
My brids are using 3 gallons a day.
So I only put 4 gallons a day. I turn it drain valve to delivers water to trees.
I them add fresh water. I have the means to provide 10 gallons incase I need to be away for a few days but see no reason to have it just sitting in the waterer

If it's not in the sun, it's probably bacterial growth. Now, it's possible it's entirely harmless, just a random non-pathogen bacteria, but I'd scrub it out just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom