Growth on Chick’s Eye?

HomeTweetHome1

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2019
Mobile, AL
This little bantam baby has some sort of growth on her eye... I noticed it a few days after we got her, I’ve been using a q-tip to apply AntiFungal/Antiseptic Spray daily or every other day. It seems to have gotten larger, and I can tell it’s bothering her— She scratches at it and cries when I put the meds on it, even though I barely touch her. What should I do?

Attachments

• FFD32298-0B08-4D40-9CB8-2C7A882604A0.jpeg
    FFD32298-0B08-4D40-9CB8-2C7A882604A0.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 14
  • E5F7B2E1-A89F-42CA-8662-5BDA44C06737.jpeg
    E5F7B2E1-A89F-42CA-8662-5BDA44C06737.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 13
What type of anti-fungal/antiseptic spray are you putting on that? (name of product)
Has she been outside?
I believe you that it's growing, can you look at it really close to make sure that's a not a tick? I know that sounds odd, but let's rule that out too.

What type of anti-fungal/antiseptic spray are you putting on that? (name of product)
Has she been outside?
I believe you that it's growing, can you look at it really close to make sure that's a not a tick? I know that sounds odd, but let's rule that out too.

It’s miracle care. Not a tick.
I’m going to stop using the medicine— it only seems to be getting worse.

It’s miracle care. Not a tick.
I’m going to stop using the medicine— it only seems to be getting worse.
The spray may be irritating it more - not sure what's in it.
If you feel something needs to be put on it, use plain triple antibiotic ointment. (original Neosporin)

Does it have a red spot at the top, hard to tell? If you have vet care, that would be best.
If not, then you might be able to lance it to see if there's pus.
@azygous what do you think?

I would very, very carefully try to lance it and press on it to release the pus. If only blood comes out, not pus, then you'll know it's a tumor.

After trying to lance it, Neosporin is a good idea, and can't hurt the eye if you get it in it.

I’m afraid to lance it... How would I go about doing so? She doesn’t like me touching it and I don’t know if I’d be able to keep her still. Using Neosporin now.

If the lesion is an infection, it's necessary to lance it to remove the hard pus so it can heal. Chickens hate being fussed with, but this is important to overrule her.

You will need help. You need someone to hold her still so you can take a sharp instrument such as an Exacto knife and make a tiny nick in the center of the lesion. You won't be inflicting awful pain. She'll barely feel it.

Then exert pressure around the lesion to push out the pus. It will be hard like wax. Then dab on the Neosporin and keep doing that until it heals.

You can not do anything, but it may take weeks, even months to heal on its own, and it could get worse and affect her vision.

If the lesion is an infection, it's necessary to lance it to remove the hard pus so it can heal. Chickens hate being fussed with, but this is important to overrule her.

You will need help. You need someone to hold her still so you can take a sharp instrument such as an Exacto knife and make a tiny nick in the center of the lesion. You won't be inflicting awful pain. She'll barely feel it.

Then exert pressure around the lesion to push out the pus. It will be hard like wax. Then dab on the Neosporin and keep doing that until it heals.

You can not do anything, but it may take weeks, even months to heal on its own, and it could get worse and affect her vision.
I’m going to try and lance it tomorrow morning. I’ve been keeping a close eye on her. She seems well, I haven’t been using Neosporin because I don’t want to irritate it more. I’ll see what happens and keep y’all updated!

I’m going to try and lance it tomorrow morning. I’ve been keeping a close eye on her. She seems well, I haven’t been using Neosporin because I don’t want to irritate it more. I’ll see what happens and keep y’all updated!
Hope it goes well!
If you don't mind, take a photo of what you get out LOL Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom