Growth on Runner duck bill

tnd5

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2015
South Carolina
I have a 12 week old black runner duck. I noticed this morning that there is a growth on his bill right where it connects to his face. I caught him up and looked at it and it looks and feels "fleshy". It does not seem to affect him in any way, but I am concerned it will grow to cover his nare and/or eye. It reminds me of a caruncle, like muscovies have. I am going to try to attach the best picture I can. He is not very cooperative.
Sorry it is blurry. He is the one in the front.

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how to treat?

I have a 12 week old black runner duck. I noticed this morning that there is a growth on his bill right where it connects to his face. I caught him up and looked at it and it looks and feels "fleshy". It does not seem to affect him in any way, but I am concerned it will grow to cover his nare and/or eye. It reminds me of a caruncle, like muscovies have. I am going to try to attach the best picture I can. He is not very cooperative.
Sorry it is blurry. He is the one in the front.

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how to treat?
@tnd5 Welcome to BYC.

I honestly haven't ever seen a growth like this is it possible to take him to a vet? In the meantime lets see if others with Runners have ever had anything like this on any of theirs. Did it come up fast or has it been slowly growing over it's 12 weeks?

@Amiga Has Runners

I have not seen this on any of my Runner girls (my drake is not a Runner). It may be a benign tumor, or some kind of wart, I would see a vet if possible.

It has come on over the last couple of weeks. I ignored it at first, because I thought he had a piece of a leaf stuck on it. It seems to be growing. I don't know of any vets that will see him, but I am calling around trying to find one. Thanks for the replies.
@tnd5 Welcome to BYC.

I honestly haven't ever seen a growth like this is it possible to take him to a vet? In the meantime lets see if others with Runners have ever had anything like this on any of theirs. Did it come up fast or has it been slowly growing over it's 12 weeks?

@Amiga Has Runners

Last edited:
It has come on over the last couple of weeks. I ignored it at first, because I thought he had a piece of a leaf stuck on it. It seems to be growing. I don't know of any vets that will see him, but I am calling around trying to find one. Thanks for the replies.
I hope you can find one to look at him they maybe able to cut a small piece and biopsy it. Keep us updated please.

Back
Top Bottom