travisbeville

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2015
I have 3 barred rock hens and rooster
3 asian blue hens and rooster
2 Plymouth rocks
2 white cornish
For a total of 12 chickens.
My question is if they are all supposedly the same age would they all be differing in size. The cornish started tiny and are now looking obese and the plymouth went from tiny to huge in about 6 weeks but the barred still seem have the size?

You may not have white Cornish, you may have white Cornish Cross. Those are meat birds that grow extremely fast. You need to process them somewhere around 6 to 8 weeks since they grow so fast their hearts give out and they die or their skeleton breaks down and they become crippled. I’d check back with that breeder to make sure of what you got.

I’m not sure what is happening with your different Rocks but different breeds often grow at different rates. Is it possible you got some bantam chickens?

welcome-byc.gif

Pictures? With something to show scale?

These are the barred rock and others. Again sorry for the poor quality photos I was on lunch break

this is one of the supposed cornish. Sorry for the poor pic quality

As the other members have suggested, your Cornish is actually a Cornish cross (Cornish rooster X White Rock hen). This particular hybrid grows at an extremely fast rate and is ready for butchering at 8 weeks. In fact, if you wait too far beyond that length of time, they typically begin to have severe health problems due to their abnormal growth rates.

Back
Top Bottom