Grrr... Please tell me that the chick might be okay

kerriliane

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Langley, BC, Canada
So, I have 4 mamas on nests. two just started yesterday, and the other two - one has week old chicks, the other has been hatching out since wednesday. The two with chicks are in an enclosed area, seperated..
Well.. The one hen with the week old babies found a spot she could sneak into the other hens enclosure..

Basically I took a corner of the run, and put chicken wire from one wall to the other to create a closed in triangle. I then put a board down the middle and a tarp across the top & around the outside walls. This tarp keeps the mommas dry and free from too much wind. The bigger hen, who has the week olds, found a way between tarp and wood to get into other side, and her babies got across by sneaking under the wire that goes across the food area which makes it so I can have one big dish, that sits half on each side.

Well mama two, the little one.. hatched out 3 or 4 babies since wednesday... I found one dead this morning when i went to feed all the chickens.. and then I went to grab a few blocks of dog food from freezer and noticed her back on the wrong side again, so i threw her back into her side and found that she was getting out between tarp and the chicken wire that goes across the top to keep predators out..
I also noticed another dead baby, and one bleeding around the neck but still alive. it was twitching, so I picked it up and it pulled its legs in and looked at me, tried to lift its head up. It's still breathing and theres no more blood coming out, but there is a wound on its neck.. I put it under its mama and made sure there was no way the other mom could get out again.
Do you think it will make it?
I think that the little mom only has 1 chick out of 4 now, with 3 more eggs under her.. but that 1 chick might be one from the big beotch hen. I'm so sad..
I might have to go out on monday and find a few chicks if her last eggs don't hatch so she will stop sitting.. I am going to move her to a new enclosure later today if the other mom figures a new way into the little moms part again.
It's just my other enclosure is very small compared to the current one.. but it's safe, so it may be necessary.

I just went and checked on the chick again.. I picked it up and it turned its head and looked at me a bit, then pulled its legs in.. Its probably in so much pain, but it's alive and I cannot bring myself to kill it.
Momma has it under her, and she has one other chick and three more eggs. Other mom was at the fence, but I double checked and anywhere she tries to get out i have the end of the chicken wire curled in, so she will get caught in it if she tries to get to the other side.
Ugh. This sucks.. the injured one was such a cute chick too!
yellow, caramel and some brown flecks all over the fuzz! i have a photo but it's hard to tell what is just bloody fuzz and where the injury is.
Shes moving her legs which means she wont be paralyzed if she recovers, right?

I would like to say that I just moved her to a new enclosure with her two babies.. and the very injusred one, is sitting like a regular chick, head is up eyes open... so hopefully it will be good

They can be very tough so hopefully it will recover, as long as the hen is accepting it let her. They can get into the smallest places, and it's hard to figure out what happened, usually the mama hens are more tolerant of chicks the same age and sometimes swap them, but it doesn't matter who it belongs to she has a mama now.

Back
Top Bottom