grrr.....

I honestly don't think the government brings in animals to control the population of another species.

I could be wrong, but please someone point me to an article online that will show me.

I don't want to see them introducing animals back that USED to be in the area, but only something that will show me them introducing animals like coyotes to bring down the population of Deer etc.

pop.gif

Coyotes are increasing in population everywhere. They are versatile and adapt quickly. Their fur has little value, relative to the past, so hunting and trapping pressure is down. If bobcat populations are up then it is because the habitat is supporting them as well. If there is plenty of food, shelter, and enough space to support a population, the population will grow. More predators are filling in urban and semi rural areas then before. Coyotes are showing up in cities like LA and Chicago. I am not aware of anywhere in the continental US where introduction of coyotes or bobcats would have been necessary as they both have been around most everywhere for quite some time.

Quote:
The federal government has done it on federal lands. Reintroducing wolves into Yellowstone National Park to control the deer population there in the eighties is an example. But they only return them to areas where they originally had been put by mother nature and killed off by bounty hunters. I don't know anything about bobcats.

Edited because I wasn't clear enough.

Last edited:
Quote:
More than increasing in population, our exposure to and awareness of coyotes is increasing, at least where I live. My state's population has grown steadily since its founding. With cities and towns expanding and encroaching into the habitats of coyotes, mountain lions and other predators, the animals are forced to try to find a way to survive in suburban environments. We interact with them more than we used to so the increase in their population seems higher to us than it actually is. And these are not close encounters of the fuzzy kind. Joggers have been killed by mountain lions about 60 miles from where I live but it's not the cats' fault. They lived there first.

Likely that in your state if any introduction of predators to control wildlife would be done only on state owned and operated lands. Not in any other areas.
You could call your states appropriate agency to find out for sure.
Here, predators would not be introduced by the state willy nilly to control wildlife as they could/would kill privately owned domestic and farm animals. It would be done by increasing the hunt to kill ratio on private lands as in most states.

Don't really believe the gov't brought in coyotes to control the deer population, especially since deer aren't typically what coyotes prey on; same goes for bocats - they don't really prey on coyotes. Where did you get this information?

I don't know about anywhere else, but around here the only animal that has been reintroduced by the government was beaver - and man that was a mistake! The other predators - the wolves, coyotes, fox, bobcats and cougars, have pretty much reintroduced themselves. Well, the coyotes, fox and bobcats have always been here. The wolves and cougars have moved back into this area because they were either lured in by the increase in the deer population or because they were pushed this way by increasing human population in other areas. One other interesting thing I've noticed, is the incredible increase in the rabbit population, in spite of the increase in predators. Our game ranger is likley not best pleased by the increase in large predators, but there you go. It's better than the deer starving to death. As long as the predator population leaves me and mine alone, I'll just let them be.

Back
Top Bottom