Grubby farms chick starter any good?

Pampered chicken girl

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
So I am thinking of all the starter/growers out there and grubby farms came to mind quickly. I have never fed any grubbly Farms products but they look good on the website (what doesn't lol) are they any good do you have any experience with it my adults are currently on Purina flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side.
So basically besides the price LOL is there anything else wrong with grubbly Farms little pecks?
Screenshot_20220616-161130_Chrome.jpg

I've never tried it before. Check where it is made. You can talk to your local feed store, and they might be more helpful, if not have a grower/starter there that they're selling. Just might not be that brand.

From their website:
  • GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein............................................... 19.00% min
    Lysine................................................................. 1.15% min
    Methionine.................................................... 0.40% min
    Crude Fat....................................................... 6.00% min
    Crude Fiber................................................... 9.00% max
    Calcium.................................... 0.80% min – 1.30% max
    Phosphorus................................................... 0.60% min
    Salt............................................. 0.25% min - 0.75% max
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids.................................... 0.40% min
and this is from a post I made about 10 days ago, comparing Purina's Start and Grow with their Flock Raiser (since you mentioned it):
1655510403766.png

So, lets go by the numbers, shall we?

Protein: P S&G < LilG < P FR All are acceptable - its the amino acids that matter more.

Lysine: P S&G < P FR < LilG (all of these numbers are good, the difference between 1.1 and 1.15 isn't particularly significant. Off the top of my head, I can think of very few birds which might benefit from that difference - all hi yield broilers in their first weeks of life - but it certainly doesn't hurt)

Methionine: P S&G < LilG < P FR Purina's start and grow is lower, lower than I recommend based on my readings. LilG's .4 is the lowest I will recommend, and a number of breeds - particularly in the first weeks of life - have higher recommends for this figure. UGA now recommends 0.45 for pullets in the first 6 weeks, broilers their entire (short) life, and a suggested range of 0.35-0.45 for adult hens.

Crude Fat: P S&G < P FR < LilG The normal range of recommended fat in a poultry diet is 3.5%+/-. Waterfowl are generally recommended about 1% higher. Broilers are a special case, but we know about broiler health. Here, LilG's fat content is high - not surprising, given their ingredient list.

Fiber: P S&G = P FR < LilG There has been a lot less research done on acceptable fiber levels in a chickens diet. Like us, excess fiber slows digestion, but unlike in humans, slowing a chicken's digestion is not often a net benefit - the exception being high yield broilers on restricted feed diets. The typical recommend for this figure is around 3.5% or 4% - but unlike the fat studies, the fiber studies are much less conclusive. Most feeds that I recall fall between 3% and 6%

Calcium: these products are substantially identical in totals, and well within the expected and desired range. Hat tip to LilG though, some of its calcium is not calcium carbonate, but rather monocalcium phosphate. That is anticipated to have lower long term calcium toxicity concerns than calcium carbonate, but dicalcium phosphate and calcium diphosphate are better studied in that regard. Of course, how much it contains is unknown - but some better than none.

Phosphorus: P S&G < P FR = LilG All of these products have the desired 2:1 ratio, and like C above, are in the desired range. I would slightly favor the FR and the LilG over the S&G because I tend towards heavy birds and heavily boned breeds (like the Brahma) so the (barely) greater numbers overall are a better match to my breeds. "Excess" levels are much higher, so there's no downside to these numbers if you happen to have nothing but production RSL.

Salt: Agreement

So, that's the feeds, based on label. I'm confident you can take it from there.

From their website:
  • GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein............................................... 19.00% min
    Lysine................................................................. 1.15% min
    Methionine.................................................... 0.40% min
    Crude Fat....................................................... 6.00% min
    Crude Fiber................................................... 9.00% max
    Calcium.................................... 0.80% min – 1.30% max
    Phosphorus................................................... 0.60% min
    Salt............................................. 0.25% min - 0.75% max
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids.................................... 0.40% min
and this is from a post I made about 10 days ago, comparing Purina's Start and Grow with their Flock Raiser (since you mentioned it):
View attachment 3152700

So, lets go by the numbers, shall we?

Protein: P S&G < LilG < P FR All are acceptable - its the amino acids that matter more.

Lysine: P S&G < P FR < LilG (all of these numbers are good, the difference between 1.1 and 1.15 isn't particularly significant. Off the top of my head, I can think of very few birds which might benefit from that difference - all hi yield broilers in their first weeks of life - but it certainly doesn't hurt)

Methionine: P S&G < LilG < P FR Purina's start and grow is lower, lower than I recommend based on my readings. LilG's .4 is the lowest I will recommend, and a number of breeds - particularly in the first weeks of life - have higher recommends for this figure. UGA now recommends 0.45 for pullets in the first 6 weeks, broilers their entire (short) life, and a suggested range of 0.35-0.45 for adult hens.

Crude Fat: P S&G < P FR < LilG The normal range of recommended fat in a poultry diet is 3.5%+/-. Waterfowl are generally recommended about 1% higher. Broilers are a special case, but we know about broiler health. Here, LilG's fat content is high - not surprising, given their ingredient list.

Fiber: P S&G = P FR < LilG There has been a lot less research done on acceptable fiber levels in a chickens diet. Like us, excess fiber slows digestion, but unlike in humans, slowing a chicken's digestion is not often a net benefit - the exception being high yield broilers on restricted feed diets. The typical recommend for this figure is around 3.5% or 4% - but unlike the fat studies, the fiber studies are much less conclusive. Most feeds that I recall fall between 3% and 6%

Calcium: these products are substantially identical in totals, and well within the expected and desired range. Hat tip to LilG though, some of its calcium is not calcium carbonate, but rather monocalcium phosphate. That is anticipated to have lower long term calcium toxicity concerns than calcium carbonate, but dicalcium phosphate and calcium diphosphate are better studied in that regard. Of course, how much it contains is unknown - but some better than none.

Phosphorus: P S&G < P FR = LilG All of these products have the desired 2:1 ratio, and like C above, are in the desired range. I would slightly favor the FR and the LilG over the S&G because I tend towards heavy birds and heavily boned breeds (like the Brahma) so the (barely) greater numbers overall are a better match to my breeds. "Excess" levels are much higher, so there's no downside to these numbers if you happen to have nothing but production RSL.

Salt: Agreement

So, that's the feeds, based on label. I'm confident you can take it from there.
So what I get is it's a good feed but am I right? I my be perceiving it wrong

Also what would be better grubby or start and grow. Oh and I forgot to say in my last post thank you @U_Stormcrow you are one of the most educational people on here(no offense everyone else). Especially when it comes to feeding, you have been very helpful.

So what I get is it's a good feed but am I right? I my be perceiving it wrong
Yes, apart from price, its a very good feed. Purina's flock raiser, in my opinion, is better - but the Grubbly is superior in almost every way that matters to the Start and Grow from Purina. I have some hesitation about the fat and fiber, but there's no clear answer that +methionine and +lysine > excess fiber and high fat, but I think (at these levels) that it is. With certain breeds or certain timescales, I'd have more confidence in a particular answer.

I did a lot of research before deciding to go with Grubbly Farms. I've been feeding the Little Pecks to my flock for the last 3 months and I have no complaints. It's a good company, with a good mission, and excellent customer service.

The only disadvantage I can think of is it's only available online. There's no popping down to TSC to grab a bag when you're low. However, orders ship for free and you can get a discount if you set it up for auto-shipping.

Back
Top Bottom