Grubs... eew... Chicken safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1FastFlamingo, Jan 24, 2011.

1. 1FastFlamingo

1FastFlamingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Brevard County, Florida
    My son has dug up some of those huge fat white grubs from the ground. We are wondering if they are ok for our girlies to tear up. My biggest concern is the pinchers on these things, would they pinch a hen`s crop pouch in her? I`ve never seen a grub move around muchZ let alone pinch us, I`m just curious for my girlies... Thanx all!

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Grubs = Chicken sushi = YUM!

They will love them and the pinchers won't hurt them.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    You're chickens will love them. Mine eat them nearly everyday and they are one of their favorites. Mine usually kill them by smacking them on the ground before devouring them whole.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    YOU BET!! We were spliting some firewood that had some monster grubs in the wood & they were a big hit with the flock.

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    My girls spent the fall de-grubbing my front lawn. I dont think there is one grub left anywhere there. Of course, I will have to rake it out and throw down some seed to cover some bare spots but hey--my front lawn is grub free and fertilized!

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:My chickens get dangerously close to the axe when I'm splitting firewood that I have to feed them before splitting wood. They can't wait for the grubs to fall out! My hens will eat anything that comes out of the wood.

7. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    One day I'll tell you about how I USED to have a very fertile compost heap....

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Maybe scarab/june beetle grubs. They are fine for your chickens. There's not a lot of insects that can harm a chicken either.

9. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    I don't give my chickens grubs from my dad's yard. He uses that grub x treatment stuff. All worms from my yard are ok. I never use any thing on my weeds/grass.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens are bulletproof when it comes to insects, terrestrial creepy crawlies, frogs etc..
    I would worry if anything they ate had been treated with chemicals.
    We are supposed to eat things that come from a plant, not manufactured in a plant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by