Grubs... eew... Chicken safe?

1FastFlamingo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Brevard County, Florida
My son has dug up some of those huge fat white grubs from the ground. We are wondering if they are ok for our girlies to tear up. My biggest concern is the pinchers on these things, would they pinch a hen`s crop pouch in her? I`ve never seen a grub move around muchZ let alone pinch us, I`m just curious for my girlies... Thanx all!

You're chickens will love them. Mine eat them nearly everyday and they are one of their favorites. Mine usually kill them by smacking them on the ground before devouring them whole.

My girls spent the fall de-grubbing my front lawn. I dont think there is one grub left anywhere there. Of course, I will have to rake it out and throw down some seed to cover some bare spots but hey--my front lawn is grub free and fertilized!

Quote:
My chickens get dangerously close to the axe when I'm splitting firewood that I have to feed them before splitting wood. They can't wait for the grubs to fall out! My hens will eat anything that comes out of the wood.

I don't give my chickens grubs from my dad's yard. He uses that grub x treatment stuff. All worms from my yard are ok. I never use any thing on my weeds/grass.

Chickens are bulletproof when it comes to insects, terrestrial creepy crawlies, frogs etc..
I would worry if anything they ate had been treated with chemicals.
We are supposed to eat things that come from a plant, not manufactured in a plant.

Back
Top Bottom