Grumpy Molting Pekin

sjaks

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2021
Our 2.5 year old Pekin started showing signs of her late summer/autumn molt about 4 weeks ago. This once friendly, happy-go-lucky, sweet, affectionate bird has suddenly turn down right crabby. Previously she would come for loves, pets, and affection. Now she just barks at us, will not let us touch her nor come near her, and when she does approach us it is with the low straight head one would see when she doesn't approve. Clearly she is molting, feathers everywhere, she's shaggy, and she even looks a little yellow which I assume are either new feathers coming in or old one on their way out. My question, this new grumpy disposition, is this temporary and if so, how long does it last? We miss our sweet girl!

I think it’s pretty normal I think it’s not pleasant feeling when we touch pick up or pet them when they are molting. I have a few chickens and ducks that don’t mind me picking them up but since they have been in molt haven’t wanted close contact. Hopefully once she’s done molting and glamorous again she’ll be her sweet self again.

I think it’s pretty normal I think it’s not pleasant feeling when we touch pick up or pet them when they are molting. I have a few chickens and ducks that don’t mind me picking them up but since they have been in molt haven’t wanted close contact. Hopefully once she’s done molting and glamorous again she’ll be her sweet self again.
Thank you, Miss Lydia. All makes total sense. From experience, how long does the molt take? She's gone through molts before but not to this extent...

Looks like for the big one it could take close to a month or more. I'd also give her some extra protein to help get those feathers in nice and pretty. Dry dog or cat food [good quality] dried or live mealworms is another good protein source.

Back
Top Bottom