Guard dog ?

My American Staffordshire Terrier/ German Shepherd mix (aka Pit Bull type dog) LOVES and respects our chickens. He was adopted from a shelter and didn't meet chickens until he was 8 years old. It depends on the dog's individual temperament, not the breed. My lab mix is not good around my chickens, my previous lab would have been good. Depends on the dog, how you train them, and their experiences with chickens.
Also, do not leave your dog outside alone during the day if you don't have a fenced in yard and you have a road nearby. That's asking for trouble.

Maybe I read that wrong(ish).
I was saying that lumping all terriers into one box and labeling them all as chicken killers was disagreeable to me in the post you quoted.

I love terrier breeds.

Is your avatar your good boy? I am glad you gave him a chance.

Maybe I read that wrong(ish).
I was saying that lumping all terriers into one box and labeling them all as chicken killers was disagreeable to me in the post you quoted.

I love terrier breeds.

Is your avatar your good boy? I am glad you gave him a chance.
I was agreeing with you! :frow

Yes, he and my other two pits are all great with the chickens and very sweet. My lab mix is very sweet but too high a pretty drive, although she's good with our cats. Everyone in our house (including the chickens) are adopted or saved off the street. We have a great group, love them tons!

I would go with a dog bred to do exactly what you want it to do. A lab isn’t likely to guard your flock as you want and is pretty likely to end up killing your chickens because labs are bred to hunt birds. What you are describing as your needs calls for one of the livestock guardian breeds. For more info, just Google that term. I have a Great Pyrenees and he does a fantastic job guarding my kids and my chickens. Here’s some more info: http://biggoodthing.com/great-pyrenees-the-kid-watching-bear-guarding-breed/

Yes. Lol I am to old to hold up a 2 wheeler anymore. I got a 2013 triglide for a screaming good deal.
It's still fun. :cool:

My husband and I have ridden Harley’s since we met 1969. Two years ago he bought a new Harley Freewheeler (I think that’s right) SO much better, more stable & comfortable to ride. We LOVE it and have about 10,000 miles on it.

My husband and I have ridden Harley’s since we met 1969. Two years ago he bought a new Harley Freewheeler (I think that’s right) SO much better, more stable & comfortable to ride. We LOVE it and have about 10,000 miles on it.

Nice to meet another rider!
I looked at the freewheeler but couldn't pass on the deal on the triglide.

Nice to meet another rider!
I looked at the freewheeler but couldn't pass on the deal on the triglide.
I sure understand everything HD is ridiculously expensive. We ride with the Red Knights (firemen) it’s a nationwide club. We say we belong to a “gang” ... sounds tougher LOL

OK, to not get booted and tie back to thread ... I looked up Maremma and they sound like wonderful dogs. My neighbor had a G. Pyrenees, she was great but all that HAIR

Back
Top Bottom