Guard dog ?

Look into livestock guardian breeds like Pyrenees mountain dogs, or some other type of mountain dog. However they will require training just like any other dog. You can’t just throw them out there and expect them to be fine. Outdoor dogs will still need family contact to be a productive member of the farm. That said, once a guardian dog is properly trained they’ll passively protect their “herd” simply by their presence. Most predators won’t even approach a farm with a livestock guardian dog because they’re bred to be big and imposing. Stay away from anything terrier since they’ll have the chickens for lunch lol

Stay away from anything terrier since they’ll have the chickens for lunch lol

I would politely disagree with that.

While terriers are energetic by nature and many would not be suited as livestock guardians for many reasons it is misleading to list ALL terriers as chicken killers.

A norfolk terrier, for example, is much different than an airedale terrier.
;)

While terriers are energetic by nature and many would not be suited as livestock guardians for many reasons it is misleading to list ALL terriers as chicken killers.

;)
I have a Yorkie that's trained to wrangle Chickens and Ducks. I trained her myself and was trained to not use her mouth but her front feet. Used a volley ball. She definitely loves her job and takes no crap from Chickens .

I have a Yorkie that's trained to wrangle Chickens and Ducks. I trained her myself and was trained to not use her mouth but her front feet. Used a volley ball. She definitely loves her job and takes no crap from Chickens .

My point exactly.

Many years ago my best chicken/duck wrangler was my American Staffordshire terrier. She was born with the desire to please the human.
It pleased me that she herded them to help me so she happily did it.

My point exactly.

Many years ago my best chicken/duck wrangler was my American Staffordshire terrier. She was born with the desire to please the human.
It pleased me that she herded them to help me so she happily did it.
Awesome. Dogs love jobs. All mine are trained to do something because it gives them a purpose...:frow

;)

This is true, not ALL terriers but most would xD
My Airedale was nuts lol

Back
Top Bottom