Guard dogs for poultry project

I cannot speak to the guard dog issue but my three small dogs
big_smile.png
get along fine with my two Ameraucanas. I have a 14 yr. old female dachshund, a 10 yr. old male chihuahua, and a 3 yr. old female 1/2chihuahua 1/2 yorkie. From time to time the chickens chase the dogs away. Thanks for all the cool info on chickens and guard dogs. I have considered that also.
smile.png

Last edited:
My Rhode Island Red got out when I had my dogs out the other day and my English Springer Spaniel almost did her in... I had to give him a good kick or she was good as dead...she is the only pullet I have that will fly up and over the run fence. I try very hard to make sure Jake is never out when the chickens are, but Big Red Fooled me this time...she is ok, just laost a few feathers...

...is there any chance that the pullet and the dog learned something from this? Or just me?

Quote:
120% incorrect. The german shepherd was originally bred to be a herding dog, a protection dog and a scent dog.............. so they are a great dog for a livestock guardian. They like all other dogs need a little guidence from time to time.............. but can be incredable protecters or alarms.
here is my shepherd puppy.......... about 6 mo.'s old. she is fine with the girls and will be trained much more in the next few mo.'s with them. She pays no attention to them now. I just want her to pay no attention to them when she is off leash. That should happen soon. I can't wait to be out gardening with my 4 dogs and 4 chickens loose............ that will be to fun.
45854_6mohoop.jpg

Never ending fun at my house...................

the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits and a lizard

editted a few minutes later.............. I never recommend getting more then one puppy at a time...................
life is much easier if you get them a year or two apart.

Last edited:
never said they could not be ok with chickens just said that having them as a full time LGD would be hard because the herding instinct would make them wanna give the chickens a chase also the dog may be showing gaurding behavior doesnt mean its gaurding the birds its jus showing territorial behavior withought killing the birds

It also could be easy because of the guardian instinct. Each animal is an individual and will handle situations its way. German Shep"herd"
They are called that for a reason... They can be amazing livestock guardians.......... and I would look for a dog what was from a known guardian pair. No matter what breed you choose to help out your household. Do your research! Pick the breed that all around works for your household. Not the dog you like the looks of. Those dogs can be your worst nightmare.

Good luck

45854_7morose.jpg

7 month old shepherd puppy taught to be gental and respect other animals.
45854_210boyscks.jpg

Bird dogs of mine taught to respect and protect the ladies.

A foster dog learing that chickens are not big deal.
what a great dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45854_mooncks1.jpg

Congrats on your new pups. GSD's can make good guard dogs, but they weren't bred as livestock guardians necessarily. They are a pretty versatile breed though, so you should be able to do what you want. Rotties used to be an all purpose farm dog, so you have some good genes to start with. My one comment is socialize them like crazy with people. Take them places and let them meet lots of people as puppies and adolescents. They should meet 100 different people by the time they are 4months old, and then continue this until they are at least 1.5 years old. They will still be good guard dogs, in fact better guard dogs. Unsocialized they will be more likely to be aggressive to everyone, well socialized and they'll be much more likely to understand friend vs foe. And they'll still guard the chickens from predators and not be a danger to your neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom