Guard dogs for poultry project

Where in Oregon are you located? I am currently trying to rehome 2 pet 24 week old cockerels before I move to Kentucky. I am in Cave Junction. I may also have 2 Golden Welsh Harlequin drakes to rehome as well, if you ever plan on having ducks.

Quote:
That is called stalking, and is part of her prey drive.

Not always...some females are especially slow moving towards babies of many species with no intent to "prey" on them. I had a GSD that was the same way with bunnies, chicks, kittens etc...

10380_tinochickensweb.jpg

This is Tino our guard dog. The chickens think he is a big foot warmer. He got him at the dog pound for $75. He was neutered, leash trained and house broken. He hates cats but loves to come in the house, and our house cats would put their arms around his neck and give him hugs and kisses, so he had to learn to tolerate them. I'm sure he was a city dog and had never seen a chicken before, so I just kept him on a leash when I did chores and if he lunged at them when the flew I would just say NO! in a sharp voice and he learned quickly that the chickens were not toys. Now he seems to enjoy their company and lets them line up all along his back when he's sleeping. He looks like he's part Husky. He killed a mink last fall and keeps the coyotes and foxes away. We love Tino!

Looks to me like Tino is a great dog and family companion. Goes to show you it all has to do with training and what you let them get by with right off the bat. Good job Minnesnowta! Looks like the chickens love him to.

The lady with 4 city chickens, 4 dogs, a lizzard and 2 bunnies

I think there are lots of dogs that can do the job, but it depends on their personality, not necessarily their breed. If you want to up the odds considerably, go with a LGD, that is what they are bred to do. Just do your research so you get one suited for your needs. I did not want a dog that barked all night long, which some GP's are prone to do, that is how they guard, by warning off predators. I chose a Maremma for that reason. He does occasionally bark at night, if he hears or see's something, but usually just a short warning and then stops unless the threat continues or comes closer. Then I know there is a problem and get up and go see.

any more results? My dogs are known chicken killers, and I now have 24 chicks. The dogs and chicks do not spend much time together....my chocolate lab might be ok, but the english springer spaniel is a killer!

My GSD just killed two 12 week old chickens. It was heart breaking! We are going to go with further training and see if she can turn into a protector. She is about to turn 3 years old but was new to the new additions. She was just guarding her territory when our friendly birds got too close to her.

I'd like to point out that "herding" and "guarding" are two entirely different things. I have border collies who herd (sheep). They are not and will NEVER be good guard dogs. In fact, if what they are herding doesn't do what they are trying to get it to do, they are within their rights (by my training) to bite. If there is a stubborn ewe who doesn't want to go into a pen, my older dog will insist that she go there whether she wants to or not. She would view a chicken not moving where she wants it to an act of insubordination
lol.png
and would likely bite it. not intending to hurt it, mind you, but that could certainly be the outcome. My younger BC herds sheep right around chickens and doesn't even see them. They are not sheep so they don't matter (in her eyes).

Cattle dogs, border collies, australian shepherds, etc. are herding dogs. Maremmas, Pyr Shepherds and Anatolian Shepherds are livestock guardian dogs. I know much less about them and how they work since I've never owned any, but I can tell you that my BC's wouldn't care a bit if something ate my chickens. I doubt they'd kill them, but they sure wouldn't save them, at least not on purpose.

I'm not saying that a dog can't do both herding and guarding, but I wanted to point out that they are distinctly different behaviors and just because a dog can do one doesn't mean he or she can or will do the other.

Back
Top Bottom