Guardian Llamas, Donkeys?

Anianna

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
N/E of Richmond, VA
I have been reading the book Livestock Guardians: Using Dogs, Donkeys, and Llamas to Protect Your Herd and was wondering if anybody here has experience using a llama or donkey as part of an overall protection plan.

I have 3 Mammoth Donkeys that do keep the coyotes away. Not all donkeys are good at it and NEVER use miniature donkeys. They are just to small to protect against a pack. If your going with donkeys use a standard or mammoth size. Also never keep just one donkey if you don't have another equine. They are very herd oriented, would prefer the company of another donkey but will tolerate a horse or pony.

Yup.... and when they are taking a break guarding my horses then I put em to work cleaning too.
tongue.png

100_5539.jpg

102_6784.jpg

100_2732.jpg

I think it would be fun to have a guard llama as well as a couple of donkeys the kids could ride to the bus stop on.

I found a handcrafted donkey cart on our property. I want to refurb it and get a donkey to hook it up to. It would be my green automobile!
wink.png

I recommend donks to everyone! We got ours three years ago and I am completely in love! They are great guard animals. If anyone or anything comes on to our property they bray. The deer were out on the five acre field the other day and the donks were having a fit. They do this snort/blow thing when they sense danger. So funny. You have to be careful with your pets tho. Well I do with mine anyways. My dog got out in the field trying to follow me this fall. The donk went to go after the dog I jumped between them so the dog didn't get his head kicked off and ended up with a fractured thumb. I am also afraid to let my chickens run loose because I'm afraid the donks may go after them. So that is something to think about. Also, they are very, very mischievous! Last week mine managed to pull a box of nails into the horse run and spread them all over the barn yard like confetti. If there is something for them to get into they do! But over all, I love, love, love my donks! They are such clowns and just joyful, entertaining creatures to be around.

48430_chomic_house_088.jpg

48430_chomic_house2_017a.jpg

I had mini donkeys. I loved mine. They kept animals away.....

But they also chased and mauled and threw all of my goats which they were 'protecting'.

We almost lost several does. The donkeys got a new home eventually.

Quote:
sad.png
I have 4 mini donks and they work for us... just last night there was a whole pack of coyotes in the cow pasture across the road. There is a standard size donk in there and that didnt stop them... I havent had a problem with any predators and my chickens free range all day and I have no night predators either... *knocks on wood* I just love them. When they see something that doesnt belong they snort and bray. My dark chocolate girl charges things too (specially my Aussie who thinks its fun to run circles around them
wink.png
)

39129_dsc_1463.jpg

39129_dsc_1472.jpg

I have a guard llama. She guards my alpacas. She does a good job of alerting and she chases the alpacas toward the barn. The one thing about llamas is that they really can't handle more than one predator at a time. So it would depend on your predator problem. I had another guard llama that killed a full grown dog by stomping it. When my other llama was still alive (unfortunately she passed away), the 2 llamas really did a great job. The one stayed and watched the predator and the other one chased the alpacas back to the barn.

Quote:
sad.png
I have 4 mini donks and they work for us... just last night there was a whole pack of coyotes in the cow pasture across the road. There is a standard size donk in there and that didnt stop them... I havent had a problem with any predators and my chickens free range all day and I have no night predators either... *knocks on wood* I just love them. When they see something that doesnt belong they snort and bray. My dark chocolate girl charges things too (specially my Aussie who thinks its fun to run circles around them
wink.png
)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39129_dsc_1463.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39129_dsc_1472.jpg

I'm glad nothing has happened to your donks but it is not recommended for mini's to guard. There have been lots of successful attacks on them.

Back
Top Bottom