Fly problems with donkeys

Margaretlumley01

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
Mn.
Does anyone have any suggestions for fly control? My donkey is a bit of a special case I fear 😂. He gets really badly attacked by flies in the summer. I’ve tried multiple different fly sprays, I use swat cream, and Vaseline on his legs where it gets especially bad (they are raw from him biting himself and from the flies). I have tried one type of fly boot but he destroyed them on the first day . Ugh. My preference would be to try fly boots again, so if anyone has a heavy duty, donkey proof option let me know. I really don’t like to use chemicals, so if there was a natural topical option for fly control that would be my preference. I’ve also heard there are things I could mix in his feed, but I havent tried due to not really knowing what to use. Any help is appreciated.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fly control? My donkey is a bit of a special case I fear 😂. He gets really badly attacked by flies in the summer. I’ve tried multiple different fly sprays, I use swat cream, and Vaseline on his legs where it gets especially bad (they are raw from him biting himself and from the flies). I have tried one type of fly boot but he destroyed them on the first day . Ugh. My preference would be to try fly boots again, so if anyone has a heavy duty, donkey proof option let me know. I really don’t like to use chemicals, so if there was a natural topical option for fly control that would be my preference. I’ve also heard there are things I could mix in his feed, but I havent tried due to not really knowing what to use. Any help is appreciated.
What kinda fly sprays have you tried?

There are fly traps you could buy, and there are also fly predators which are a type of bug you can order that only eat flies. Shoefly boots are a type of fly boots I use for my horses and they have held up super well. Good luck which your donkey!!

An odd one for me to be replying to.:D
We kept donkeys; four of the hay burning heavyweights in fact.
Nothing we tried in the stable worked. The Horse flies were the worst.
What helps but doesn't fix the problem completely is to keep them outside.
You have my empathy. I can't count the number of times I've had my foot trodden on trying to put Iodine on horse fly bites.

I used to have donkeys and the guineas ate flies off their legs. They were best of friends! donkey guineas (3 of 1).jpg

I use the wipe and spray but we use the green bottle since it is more natural and better for them.

Back
Top Bottom