Guess my breeds (I do know what they are)

Pics
By this point, the only hens left are the "barred mix" and the "mix that resembles a brown leghorn."

I think I'll guess Buff Brahma x barred mix. And if she is the mother, you will be able to tell the chick's sex by whether it gets white bars on the feathers (male) or not (female).

By this point, the only hens left are the "barred mix" and the "mix that resembles a brown leghorn."

I think I'll guess Buff Brahma x barred mix. And if she is the mother, you will be able to tell the chick's sex by whether it gets white bars on the feathers (male) or not (female).
That's interesting. A boy would get white bars on the feathers? Not the barred mix either though. Lol.

That's interesting. A boy would get white bars on the feathers?

Yes, it's how black sexlinks work: the barred mother passes barring to her sons but not her daughters. A non-barred father cannot pass on barring. So only the sons have barring. (A barred father can pass barring to both his sons and his daughters, so not at all useful for sexlinks.)

I was going to say Buff Brahma with the brown leghorn mix
Nope! Here's a pic of that hen btw. She's really interesting. Mom was a SLW, dad was an unknown golden barred bird.
20200405_165516_HDR~2.jpg

Yes, it's how black sexlinks work: the barred mother passes barring to her sons but not her daughters. A non-barred father cannot pass on barring. So only the sons have barring. (A barred father can pass barring to both his sons and his daughters, so not at all useful for sexlinks.)
Ohhhkkkk. That makes sense. Very cool. Maybe I'll have to try the mix sometime. Here's the weird barred hen. I edited my first post to add we also have a BJG. I forgot about her.
20200422_191641_HDR.jpg

I thought they had all been guessed, but I just went back through the list: Blue Laced Red Wyandotte is the only one left of the original list. So by process of elimination, and assuming that the Black Jersey Giant you added later is not the mother, then the chick must be:

Buff Brahma x Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.

Which means the chick probably doesn't have a pea comb (as I thought at first), but instead would have a walnut comb (genetically pea + rose).

I thought they had all been guessed, but I just went back through the list: Blue Laced Red Wyandotte is the only one left of the original list. So by process of elimination, and assuming that the Black Jersey Giant you added later is not the mother, then the chick must be:

Buff Brahma x Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.

Which means the chick probably doesn't have a pea comb (as I thought at first), but instead would have a walnut comb (genetically pea + rose).
Ding ding ding! I was surprised no one had guessed her yet. A walnut comb? Never heard of that. So does my chick have a walnut comb?

A walnut comb? Never heard of that. So does my chick have a walnut comb?

Geneticists call it a "walnut comb" when it's genetically pea comb and rose comb.
So yes, your chick should have a walnut comb: pea from the Brahma father, rose from the Wyandotte mother.

Here's a chart of different comb types:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bud-the-evil-rooster-what-is-he.888849/#post-13526791

The ones described as cushion or strawberry are walnut combs (genetically speaking), as are most of the ones called walnut combs.

Silkies have a "walnut comb" that looks rather like a walnut--but I've read that sometimes it's genetically a rose comb.

Nothing like a bit of confusion :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom