Guess that mutt....

tharrell

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Colorado Springs
This is Buddy. He's about the most quintessential mutt around. I know dogs and dog breeds inside and out and I still have yet to figure out what the heck he is (I'm the person anyone I know comes to with dog or breed questions). He's about 5 years old and the best dog I have ever owned. Just for curiosities sake I'm about to cave and buy a DNA test. Here are the facts:

-He has long hair that grows as long as the hair you see on his tail. I clip him down
-His ears stand when his coat is clipped all the way down, just the tips are down
-His coat mats very easily even with daily brushing
-His tail curls up over his back when he is excited
-He has webbed feet
-His tail is like a rat tail and very skinny as though it would be docked if he were purebred
-He weighs about 40 pounds
-He has spots on his tongue
-He tracks like a hound
-He hates water (could be because of abuse as a puppy, got him at 8 months)
-He's a couch potato but is always up for a good walk or romp in the yard
-He has developed dog aggression as he has aged despite being very well socialized and taken to the dog park all the time
-He rarely barks (sounds funny even when he tries!)
-He loves people and is VERY eager to please
-He has no prey drive toward any other animals (except the aforementioned dogs)
-He's exceptionally smart, up there with goldens, labs, aussies, ect.
-When he runs his back arches up (like a smiley face curve)

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to ask questions that might point to what breeds he is. Any guesses???
13752_bud_1.jpg

13752_bud_2.jpg

13752_bud_3.jpg

13752_bud_4.jpg

13752_bud_5.jpg

I'm thinking his family tree has lots of branches. I think I see Yorkie +? I read somewhere that when you mix small purebreds the puppies are often bigger than either parent.

Funny you say yorkie. My parents have a VERY poorly bred yorkie who is quite large and if you see them out of the corner of your eye they look the same. I always tell people he's a multi-generation mutt and looks like Benji.

Last edited:
my aunt had a dog that looks very similar, she was a weaton terrier mix. She had the same long fur the matted easily and she didnt bark either, she made a long drawn out cooing noise occasionally. She also had a black mouth/tounge, the curled up tail and the same ears too. He is cute! My aunt would steal him away! hers died 3 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom