Guess the breed!

ameliadanielle

Songster
Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
I got these chicks from TSC yesterday from the bin labeled as egg laying pullets. I asked what breed they were, the employee just said they were pullets and that's all they knew. I talked to the manager, who said they were grab bag, and they had no clue what they were. Called corporate, who obviously places the orders, they were equally unhelpful. So they are anyone's guess. However, the sooner I know what they are, the better. I was hoping for a fat, not flighty breed. As we have 1/3 of an acre fenced in yard with 6ft privacy fence and I would love to let them have run of the yard with the pot belly pig and the Great Pyrenees, and just build a coop for them to stay in at night to keep the owls away from them. However, if they are a breed that is prone to flying (like all the chickens I grew up around) then we will have to build a coop with a large run so they don't fly out of the back yard. For now they are living inside because we are having very cold weather for south Georgia, and it will be awhile before they're out and about in the yard. I'd like to build their home as soon as possible though so I'll have it done and over with. There were three colors of chicks in the bins; the two colors of chicks I have and another, I didn't get any of the third color which were a very pale yellow and I suspected they may have turned out white. I have no clue about the light colored chicks, I even showed them to my dad who has been breeding and raising chickens since before I was born and he couldn't tell if they would end up white or not. They seem to be in between the color of a red and a white. It's hard to capture with the camera.

Would vote the reddish ones are some sort of red sex links, and the others gold laced wyandottes maybe (they look to have rose combs?)

I don't have enough experience with even looking at combs to tell what kind they are yet. I'll have to get them out of their little room to look at them. I'll google some comb types and see if I can tell. Or I'll try to get some close up pictures.

I have one like the little black ones & I got it from rural King & the bin said " straight run pullet " so I don't know lol

Straight run pullet? They're covering all the bases I guess. Lol. I thought pullets meant sexed females, and straight run meant mixed males and females that haven't been sexed.

I second Kelsie. The goldish chicks are red sex links and the dark chicks are gold laced Wyandottes. The light chicks have straight combs, at this age they look like tiny sawteeth standing up. The Wyandottes have rose combs, at this age it's basically a wider flat spot.

Now I'm really crossing my fingers, because before we bought the chickens my husband and I were looking at different breeds and the Gold Laced Wyandotte was one of the ones we both thought was gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom