Guess what? Bloody Chicken butt...

I have heard and seen that if chickens detect that one of their flock is in any way damaged for whatever the cause they tend to pick on it and make the damage far worse than when it started out by picking at it constantly not the bird that has the injury the rest of the flock. I have seen holes packed in under the Wings Around the anus or I guess in this case cloaca and anyway chickens can be quite Savage towards each other just a thought there is a reason why they call it a pick order

Your girls are cramped. It can take awhile before they start to eat each other due to cramped housing... and then the rain making them feel like they wanted to stay inside was the last straw.

For ten chickens you need a run at least 10x10. And that is the bare minimum.

Since the house that you have is so small, I would actually build them a new house with at least 4 square feet of space per bird in the house. If you go with the minimum of 4 square feet of bird in the coop, I would suggest putting a roof over part of the run, and making the run bigger.

4 square feet per bird in a coop for 10 birds means a coop of 10x4 (easy math) Or you could make it a square and round up to 8x8 and that would be nice.

In the meantime .... you need to separate all of the hens or they will kill each other... no joke.

you could use the house you have now as a hospital coop, or chick coop/brooder. No reason to throw it away.

Or.... downsize to maybe 3 hens. (I didn't see the dimensions on the link you posted)

Unfortunately you are short on space for 10 chickens. That coop fits maybe 4?, your run only has space for 3. By not letting them out at all it's possibly they're taking their frustrations out on each other.

ok... I went back to the link and saw the dimensions and calculated...

If I did it correctly, they now have less than 2 square feet per bird. That is impressively cramped.

That coop can happily hold 4 hens.

Back
Top Bottom