Guess what i just got🤭!!!!!

OK yall so here is the plan for housing the 3.5 month old silkies through this cold week. They will be living in the broody pen of sorts. They have a sheltered area filled with straw bedding and with a big cardboard box, also filled with straw. Then, they have a big box outside of the shelter, that also has straw, so two places to hide and stay away from the rain. I know we had decided (after talking with @MysteryChicken ) on keeping them enclosed in the shelter for about a week, but then I remembered how damp it got in there when I tried it with my broody last year (and no she didn't hatch chicks, and also no she isn't alive, or at least on my property). So, I added a bunch of straw and boxes, plus their original shelter (and food and water obviously) and they seemed to love it, so I think we're good! Anyways, here's them in their (permanent) home, and as for comb photos, i didn't manage to get any good quality ones, but that's fine! From now on, unless something important happens, I will give you weekly updates!

Attachments

• IMG_20230203_165801.jpg
    IMG_20230203_165801.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 4
Oh also I would like to know what would be the outcome of breeding my silkies. Obviously partridge will produce partridge, but what would the other colored chick produce?

Oh also I would like to know what would be the outcome of breeding my silkies. Obviously partridge will produce partridge, but what would the other colored chick produce?
Birchen is dominant, over partridge, so if you bred the partridge to Birchen, you'd get Birchen partridge splits, but they'll look Birchen.

If your Birchen is split for partridge, you'll get some partridge in the mix, if bred to partridge.

Birchen is dominant, over partridge, so if you bred the partridge to Birchen, you'd get Birchen partridge splits, but they'll look Birchen.

If your Birchen is split for partridge, you'll get some partridge in the mix, if bred to partridge.

Okay. Let's hope it's split for partridge, because if not I'd have to breed the offspring to the other partridge, or get another partridge (mostly because I think birchen is not a recognized color, BIG question mark there though)

Okay. Let's hope it's split for partridge, because if not I'd have to breed the offspring to the other partridge, or get another partridge (mostly because I think birchen is not a recognized color, BIG question mark there though)
You can always check on the Birchen, to see if it's recognized.

Sooooo after a LONG wait, I finally got three beautiful 3.5 month old silkie chicks! Two of them are partridge, and one I'm not sure, so any suggestions about that re very welcome! MASSIVE thank you to @MysteryChicken and @ikoCRO (Also honorable mentions to @JacinLarkwell @ChickenCanoe and @Amer ) thank you for helping me! Now, here are my two questions. I would like to know the sex of these three chicks, yes I know it's really hard to tell at this age, but if anyone has any ideas I would gladly appreciate it, if not, well, let's just say I'm used to waiting. Now my second question. We will be expecting a week where things are going to get pretty cold, dropping to 0C° (around 32F I believe) at night at its coldest day, and up to 4C° (around 40F I believe) during the day. Will these 3.5 month olds be able to handle that kind of weather? The will have a sheltered area of course free from drafts, with bedding, but I still worry about them a lot. Anyways, here they areView attachment 3393419
The non-partridge one could also be a mixed color, such as partridge x black or buff x black.

Back
Top Bottom