Guess what my hen ate??

Marty Tom Ski

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Last night while getting my coops ready for the snow. I saw one of the hens with a mouse. SHe must have just killed it and the other hens where tring to take it from her. She just stopped an tilted her head back and swallowed it.
I was shocked. Is this normal??

yup
my hens do it all the time
their like the cats of the coop
smile.png

luke.

Oddly enough - my chickens catch more mice than this stupid cat laying on my feet. It's a little shocking the first time you see it though
smile.png

Oh - and chicken people don't share treats of any kind. Someone gets if first and then the chase begins.

We had two mice wreaking havoc in our roof.. We live in a older doublewide trailer and the dang things were eating holes in the ceiling.. We have a hole about the size of a nickle in our bathroom ceiling.. I put out a trap with a tasty piece of cherry on it and that night (snap!).. Took it off the trap and into a bag and reset it.. A few hours later, you guessed it.. (Snap!).. Did the same thing and kept the bag in a cold area.. In the morning, I threw both mice to the chickens and watched them go nuts!! DH thought I was absolutely nuts but the way I see it, if we would have let them back outside by using a humane trap, they would have just came back into the trailer.. And since I killed them anyway, why not give my babies some good protein!
lau.gif

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Our border collie " Milo" when ever we catch a mouse in the trap we throw it to him and he plays with it for a while then eats it! My chickens do the same thing with frogs and mice!!! Animals can eat some gross stuff! LOL
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom