Guess What?!?

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
Got my first goose egg of the season today. I plan on collecting around 4 or 5 to put in the incubator.
wee.gif

Anybody else's geese laying yet?

Like you , I live in a cold climate and there is still much snow on the ground, BUT I did get my first goose egg yesterday! I don't know if it is from my Chinese or Sebastapol hen.
If it's from my Chinese, I doubt that it would be fertile as she is in love with me, but not her mate. When she sees me she runs up to me with wings outstretched and wants to be picked up and cuddled.
If I get more, I will incubate them and see if they are fertile.

Congrats on your egg!

I've seen breeding, the geese are sitting in the doghouses, my male dewlap has even practiced some 'aqua-aerobics', so I'm thinking they are just about there. In preparation I caught and wormed each and every one of them as well as checked them over for any problems. My geese are not shy, however, they don't want to be caught- just want to be around you.

Anyhow, now they are on unlimited higher protein gamebird layer with added niacin. I'm hoping for lots of eggs.

Congrats! All 3 of my girls are laying machines. I've put signs on my incubators telling my hubby not to put any more eggs in them! He's already got 25 in them and 20 are fertile! STOP the MADNESS!!

Here's to hoping you have a great season!!

Laurie

My young american goose has laid 3 eggs so far! Unfortunately, the only other goose is an 8 1/2 month old embden. While I'm fairly certain he is a boy, he's not quite so sure
gig.gif
So no fertile eggs for me this year. I'm hoping she will go broody, so I can buy some eggs to give to her. I think she would have better luck at hatching them than I did!

I live in ND and have 5 Chinese geese that were born last June. 2 females, 3 males, I have been getting eggs for probably about 6 weeks. I get anywhere from 3 to 7 a week, each week I save them until Sunday and put them into the incubator, then candle them the next week and then toss them out. I probably have put 30 in the incubator and so far only 3 have been fertile and those are just from last week.

Back
Top Bottom