Guesses for sex on 3wk old chicks?

Dogs_and_Chickens

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2023
These guys are three weeks old, so pretty young to tell* but some people who have been in chickens for a long time have a pretty good eye for some early signs. Thought I’d see what you guys think for funsies. If you guess, I’d love to know what makes you lean hen or roo!

(Prairie Bluebell Egger Roo x Easter Egger Hen. Hatched by my EE hen who disappeared for 3 weeks and came back with these 🙄 )

*Yes, I know it’s too young to know for sure. 😉

Attachments

• IMG_9533.jpeg
    IMG_9533.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9532.jpeg
    IMG_9532.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9531.jpeg
    IMG_9531.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9530.jpeg
    IMG_9530.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9529.jpeg
    IMG_9529.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9528.jpeg
    IMG_9528.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9527.jpeg
    IMG_9527.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9526.jpeg
    IMG_9526.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9525.jpeg
    IMG_9525.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 23
These guys are three weeks old, so pretty young to tell* but some people who have been in chickens for a long time have a pretty good eye for some early signs. Thought I’d see what you guys think for funsies...

*Yes, I know it’s too young to know for sure.

I am not certain of any of them (too young). Honestly, there is no chick that I would be surprised to learn that it was male, or that it was female.

But since you asked "for funsies," I think #6 and #7 are the two most likely to be females. I can see any of the others as maybe-males at present. But I am really not sure how much is my imagination, and how much is actually something about the chicks!

If you guess, I’d love to know what makes you lean hen or roo!
I was mostly looking at combs and wattles. For #6 and #7, the combs and wattles looked small and not-red. For each of the others, I saw either comb or wattles or both that looked a bit bigger, or a bit redder, or some of both.

The single combs stand up higher, but the other combs can look "big" in various directions too. I tried to not to compare since combs to not-single combs, because I know that is often misleading.

I will be curious to see how they develop, and learn what they actually are when they are old enough to be obvious. I don't know if I will be more surprised if I am wrong on every chick, or right on every chick. I seriously expect to be about 50% right (same chance as random guessing.)

I am not certain of any of them (too young). Honestly, there is no chick that I would be surprised to learn that it was male, or that it was female.

But since you asked "for funsies," I think #6 and #7 are the two most likely to be females. I can see any of the others as maybe-males at present. But I am really not sure how much is my imagination, and how much is actually something about the chicks!

I was mostly looking at combs and wattles. For #6 and #7, the combs and wattles looked small and not-red. For each of the others, I saw either comb or wattles or both that looked a bit bigger, or a bit redder, or some of both.

The single combs stand up higher, but the other combs can look "big" in various directions too. I tried to not to compare since combs to not-single combs, because I know that is often misleading.

I will be curious to see how they develop, and learn what they actually are when they are old enough to be obvious. I don't know if I will be more surprised if I am wrong on every chick, or right on every chick. I seriously expect to be about 50% right (same chance as random guessing.)

Thanks! Seems to be a consensus actually from a few different places I asked that 6 and 7 (and 9) at this early point lean towards looking like pullets, so you’re on par with everyone else!

I’ll try to remember to update the thread when I know for sure for these guys.

Thanks! Seems to be a consensus actually from a few different places I asked that 6 and 7 (and 9) at this early point lean towards looking like pullets, so you’re on par with everyone else!

I’ll try to remember to update the thread when I know for sure for these guys.

Hmm. I just took another look at #9, and I'm voting male on that one.
Reasons:
--comb size/shape
--wattle size/color
--breast color has a lot of black (much more common in males than females, if you consider only multi-colored chickens and ignore ones that are solid black.)

Back
Top Bottom