Guidance on blocked crop

dougp23

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Betsy has been real lethargic lately. Thought she might be egg bound but couldn't figure it out for myself..so
Off to the vet! Not egg bound, but a bound crop. Her crop is large and really sticks out. She makes these incredible gurgling or stomach gurgling noises sometimes. So ihave read that I can give her olive oil or mineral oil, massage hercrop, and hope she spews it all out...
How does one get your chicken to drink a bunch of olive oil? Put it in an eyedropper? Will she open her beak for it, or do i haveto pry it open? Kind of new to this as you can tell! My girls have been so low maintenance, so i never had to learn.

I have upped the amount of grit in their diet, and try to feed Betsy just mash, but she doesn't eat much of anything (although the vet remarked he has seen smaller turkeys, Betsy always had an incredible appetite, probably wha got her into trouble!). Shedoes OK, leaves the pen, free ranges, but very lethargic.

Appreciate any insight, I'd hate to lose her!

My rooster over ate the day that the big mean roo left, his crop was full and he had a large lump right behind his jaw as well. I kept giving him water and massaging his throat, from the chest up. You may have to use more pressure than you would think, don't worry, if they aren't getting upset with you, it's okay.
I did this for a few hours and he was fine. Nothing came back up, but he was able to get things to pass through. I guess either way is good, front or back.
tongue.png

I hope this helps? I didn't use oil, but I would suppose that would work. I was using water because the big rooster kept him from everything for 2 days. He went for food first, filled himself up far too much and didn't drink any water...so his mass was all dried up food that just needed to work it's way through the system. I don't know if this is helpful, but I hope you figure something out! I'm sure someone else around here knows what to do!

I had a 5 week old roo get bound from grass. I put the olive oil in his water and kept making him drink then massaged his crop. Finally he poo'd out a long thick clump of grass. Was fine after that.

Thanks for the replies! Betsy will drink water, but it's funny, if you get a small bowl and let it dribble over the side of the bowl, she will drink all day!!
She looks MUCH better today, still not like the rest, but a huge improvement. Lots of grit for her, and I hunch down and do the water dribble bit (in the rain no less!!) and I think it's working!

Thanks again all.

Back
Top Bottom