Waterfowllady

Songster
5 Years
Nov 3, 2018
California
:jumpyGoose Hatching Guide:jumpy
SOP African Grey Dewlap's

This was my first time hatching geese, I had advice and instructions from the professional breeder who the parents are from, but I am by no means an expert
Using Nurture Right 360 Incubator & Little Giant Still Air for Hatching
30 DAY INCUBATION

-Did not use Nurture Right 360 automatic turner and removed egg tray
Rubber Shelf Liner on the floor of both incubators + brooder
  • Temperature
    • 98.5f give or take a few tenths of a degree
    • 96.5-97f Hatching
  • Humidity
    • 45%-60%
    • Still experimenting with this
    • 70%-85% Hatching
  • Turning
    • MANUALLY, 180° twice daily
    • Set eggs on side and mark an X and O on each side,
    • Stopped turning at about day 28
  • Misting
    • Once a day with a fine mist
  • Hatching
    • Eggs start off slow then hatch all at once
    • Breached Air Sac -> Small crack in eggshell -> Slightly bigger crack -> Fully hatch at nighttime and early day
This was my first year of having fertile eggs from my pair of African Grey geese, which are notoriously hard to incubate. The hen sat for about a week while I figured out what incubator to use and everything else because I wasn't expecting to have fertile eggs yet since Africans take a while to be fertile. The pair is now 3 years old. I had a clutch of 12 fertile eggs and a staggered hatch, since momma goose didn't start incubating once she had a full clutch she just laid eggs while on some. Because of this, I didn't track very accurately by the day, so I candled often and knew what eggs to put in the hatching incubator by their air cell. All eggs developed properly except one dud. At the moment of writing, I have 7 beautiful hatched goslings and 5 more to go. So far everything is going swimmingly and all eggs are on the right track to hatch.
Excellent Goose Egg incubation diary:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-incubation-diary-with-pics-hatch-day.472851/
Comprehensive Guide on incubating goose eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/
[Adding Pictures Later]
Please let me know if there's anything that would be useful to add to this

Last edited:
:jumpyGoose Hatching Guide:jumpy
SOP African Grey Dewlap's

This was my first time hatching geese, I had advice and instructions from the professional breeder who the parents are from, but I am by no means an expert
Using Nurture Right 360 Incubator & Little Giant Still Air for Hatching
30 DAY INCUBATION

-Did not use Nurture Right 360 automatic turner and removed egg tray
Rubber Shelf Liner on the floor of both incubators + brooder
  • Temperature
    • 98.5f give or take a few tenths of a degree
    • 96.5-97f Hatching
  • Humidity
    • 45%-60%
    • Still experimenting with this
    • 70%-85% Hatching
  • Turning
    • MANUALLY, 180° twice daily
    • Set eggs on side and mark an X and O on each side,
    • Stopped turning at about day 28
  • Misting
    • Once a day with a fine mist
  • Hatching
    • Eggs start off slow then hatch all at once
    • Breached Air Sac -> Small crack in eggshell -> Slightly bigger crack -> Fully hatch at nighttime and early day
This was my first year of having fertile eggs from my pair of African Grey geese, which are notoriously hard to incubate. The hen sat for about a week while I figured out what incubator to use and everything else because I wasn't expecting to have fertile eggs yet since Africans take a while to be fertile. The pair is now 3 years old. I had a clutch of 12 fertile eggs and a staggered hatch, since momma goose didn't start incubating once she had a full clutch she just laid eggs while on some. Because of this, I didn't track very accurately by the day, so I candled often and knew what eggs to put in the hatching incubator by their air cell. All eggs developed properly except one dud. At the moment of writing, I have 7 beautiful hatched goslings and 5 more to go. So far everything is going swimmingly and all eggs are on the right track to hatch.
Excellent Goose Egg incubation diary:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-incubation-diary-with-pics-hatch-day.472851/
Comprehensive Guide on incubating goose eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/
[Adding Pictures Later]
Please let me know if there's anything that would be useful to add to this
Great info, maybe you should make an article!

Back
Top Bottom