guilty!!!

countryladyNH

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 22, 2016
New Hampshire USA
My Coop
My Coop
So the good news is that now all four of our buff orpington girls are laying! The first 3 had no problem using the nest boxes, and going to them even if they were out free ranging. We got our first eggs on Aug. 18, from Prissy and Maisie, and then Bella laid her first on Sept 5th. Hannah was our late bloomer. The other day I spotted one egg in a little nest of pine needles, just at the edge of the woods. I knew it hadn't been there long, but I wasn't sure if it was Bella, our latest 'layer' or not. This morning I let the girls out and three were wandering in the front yard. I could tell from their leg bands they were Prissy, Bella, and Maisie. UH OH...Hannah was missing. On a hunch I walked over to the edge of the yard by the dry stream and wood's edge, and sure enough, there on the same bed of pine needles was Hannah, ready to lay an egg!

Da,da, DA! Cue the music:

0.jpg

Well, that was how we discovered this morning that Hannah was finally laying eggs!

I scooped her up and ran to the coop with her and put her in a nest box before she could drop an egg. All 4 were in lockdown in the coop/run until for awhile while we hoped Hannah got the message that like the other girls, she must use the next boxes.

Update---After a few hours we let them all out again, and shortly after Hannah was again MIA. This time, after checking the 'sneaky pete' nest spot in the woods and finding nothing we went to the coop, and there was that smart girl---right on a nest box all on her own!
Today for the first time we got 4 eggs---one from each of our girls!

Graphic designer hubby took a photo we had of our chickens and just quickly made this this AM~

See more on our site~ www.thecountryladyantiques.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom