guinea attacking chicken

shoetou

Songster
5 Years
Mar 13, 2015
went out to put guineas away to night and they all went in the coop . open the big door to check if the chickens had laid any more eggs and one of my guineas was attacking a chicken or was I just seeing him the guinea trying to mate with the chicken ??? this is the first time I have seen this behaver before my chickens have just started to lay I don't want my chicken beat up

Male guineas will frequently do this. It's usually a dominance display. They will teach female guineas to do it as well. I've found the best way to curb it is purchasing and applying pinless peepers to all the male guineas.

Unfortunately we had a male guinea do this and it continued to escalate to the point the chickens were getting hurt and 2 refused to go near the guinea's any longer. We had to cull the male guinea and once we did that things got better immediately better. Luckily the girl guinea's had not picked up the behavior at that point and so far have been very docile almost too docile to the chickens.

My Guineas got on fine with the chickens until about one year... then they invented a new fun game of bounce off a chicken.

They would sneak up on a chicken and just run at it and jump on its back then jump off and run away.

The chickens got really stressed out by it.. and I re homes my guinea fowl.

I don't think they are good to keep together.

Maybe build the guineas their own pen / coop.

Back
Top Bottom