Guinea fowl aggressive toward male ducks

Kirbyroberts

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
Hi,
So I raised my guinea with my chickens and ducks about 6 months ago. This is my first time raising any birds and the tractor supply lady acted like the guinea would act like a chicken if raised with them. Well two weeks ago my guinea attacked my drake for some reason and he died three days later. I'm pretty sure he died from an infection and maybe that is why the guinea attacked him but idk.

I just got a new drake for my female duck bc she was lonely and they love each other but the guinea is very possessive of my female duck and intentionally stands btw the 2 ducks and will run at him and try to peck him if he spends too much time next to her.

I'm keeping the new drake in a crate today since I'm not home to keep an eye on him and I think he will be okay but clearly within the next two days I would like him to feel like part of the flock, be able to sleep in the coop and not be attacked by my guinea when he is flirting. The guinea will also feather pull the female duck when she gets too close to the drake's cage.

Soooo..... I would like to know if my guinea will always be this aggressive towards my new drake or all drakes? Will it go away after she makes it clear she is the top of the pecking order?

We are going to build a separate house for the ducks but it will be a couple of months before that happens and I don't want to seperate the chickens from my female duck bc they love each other!

I'll take all advice with dealing with Guineas!! Should I just give her away? Does anyone want a guinea that lives near Louisville Ky?

Hi,
So I raised my guinea with my chickens and ducks about 6 months ago. This is my first time raising any birds and the tractor supply lady acted like the guinea would act like a chicken if raised with them. Well two weeks ago my guinea attacked my drake for some reason and he died three days later. I'm pretty sure he died from an infection and maybe that is why the guinea attacked him but idk.

I just got a new drake for my female duck bc she was lonely and they love each other but the guinea is very possessive of my female duck and intentionally stands btw the 2 ducks and will run at him and try to peck him if he spends too much time next to her.

I'm keeping the new drake in a crate today since I'm not home to keep an eye on him and I think he will be okay but clearly within the next two days I would like him to feel like part of the flock, be able to sleep in the coop and not be attacked by my guinea when he is flirting. The guinea will also feather pull the female duck when she gets too close to the drake's cage.

Soooo..... I would like to know if my guinea will always be this aggressive towards my new drake or all drakes? Will it go away after she makes it clear she is the top of the pecking order?

We are going to build a separate house for the ducks but it will be a couple of months before that happens and I don't want to separate the chickens from my female duck bc they love each other!

I'll take all advice with dealing with Guineas!! Should I just give her away? Does anyone want a guinea that lives near Louisville Ky?
When you imprint keets/poults with other fowl, you remove the ability for the adult guineas/turkeys to know that there is a difference between them and other fowl.

It is very common for young guineas to get along great with the other fowl right up until their first breeding season. The guinea's inherited behavior really manifests itself during that first breeding season. Their behavior is completely different from other fowl and the other fowl cannot understand this alien behavior.

Since your guinea sees ducks as favorable mates it is very unlikely that you will be able to get him to modify his behavior short of culling him.

Re-reading your post almost sounds like you only have one guinea. Guineas are a flock bird and should be raised with more guineas.

Yes I only have one guinea and I didn't realize they were flock animals. I think the best thing for me to do is find my guinea (who may be a girl or boy) a home full of guineas.

Back
Top Bottom