guinea fowl egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenboy95, Apr 3, 2009.

1. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    ok. so heres what ur all up against.

is it possible to have a guinea hen that lays in the coop in a bucket up on a shelf.

i ask this because ive been getting what looks like a guinea egg for the past 4 days.

is it the right time of year for a guinea hen to be laying?

thanks.

cole.

2. PoultryPotts

PoultryPotts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Southwest IN
    It is the time for guineas to lay but i think the guineas would be setting on their nest.

3. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    It is possible, mine when they layed in the coop ususally HID them in a corner, but if she thinks the bucket is hidden from others she might lay there.

A guinea will not sit on eggs until she thinks there are enough there to sit on, like a broody hen(chicken) that way all will hatch at the same time, otherwise you would get a keet hatching everyday, and the mother would still be sitting, and trying to raise her young at the same time.

4. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Don't know much about guineas, but our chickens have layed in strange places. One layed in my DH's oil pan (where did that black hen come from? [​IMG] ) Had another who layed eggs in an old tire almost everyday for a week. They regularly hide eggs all over the barn, even though they have nice nesting boxes that most lay theirs in. Maybe you can catch her in the act.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Guineas are more ground-nesters, but on occasion, one may lay in a nest up higher. For my guinea nest, I secured a piece of plywood leaning against a wall, to make an A-frame on the floor.

6. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    ok thanks. i thought they where ground layers/nesters. ive been putting the eggs under a HUGE standard cochin. shes got 4 now. ill have to catch her in the act.

7. speckledhen

Here is the nest area I was describing on the floor of the coop with one of my girls in it. Sadly, they were rehomed. May have to get more some day.
    [​IMG]

8. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    cynthia was she a lavender guinea? that is the kind we had....ours would not stay home and they got on top of peoples houses and made horrible loud noises....and they would hatch off like 20 babies and then the day they were hatched she would drag them everywhere and some died from it .....I loved my guineas though....dh wont let me have some more

9. speckledhen

Yes, she was a lavender. I had four of them, three lavs and one big pearl girl.. Miss those crazy things!

10. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    I love my guineas but I think it's a cruel joke for them to be feathered so beautifully with such a weird head......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by