Guinea Fowl Learning Thread!

Guinea Fowl Is Good For The Farm.

• Sadly, I Would Not Suggest Them Nor Would I Own Them.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Does anyone else have guineas that are mentally challenged? Mine just don't seem to get the idea of how to get in the run at night. They get on the wrong side of any fence and race back and forth until there is a rut in the ground. The two pullets that live in the same run have no problem figuring it out. I don't remember my last flock as being this dense.

Hello @CapricornFarm. Thank you very much for joining my thread. As far as your question goes... Yes. Lol. I had a Guinea in the past by the name of Cocoa. He was such a sweet thing, just a little crazy. He would actually run about 4 feet backwards and turn! It was funny to watch. But until that day on I'm still surprised how he lived until he was 7!

I am hoping to build them a hoop coop much further away from the house. I fogot how noisy they are. I really bought them to control ticks and we have cut back a lot of brush around the house so really the woods will be a better place for them to forage.
Anyone have tips on keeping guineas in a hoop coop? What size if any of you have used them?

Does anyone else have guineas that are mentally challenged? Mine just don't seem to get the idea of how to get in the run at night. They get on the wrong side of any fence and race back and forth until there is a rut in the ground. The two pullets that live in the same run have no problem figuring it out. I don't remember my last flock as being this dense.
Mine did the same thing. I got so frustrated having to always chase 1 or 2 every night to get them put up at night. So I put them on lockdown for a few weeks and did some more research and someone on this site said to give them a treat at in their house right at dark and they will learn to go in at night. So I gave them a little corn in front of the door and some just inside the door and they started going to roost on their own very quickly. I have really enjoyed my guineas.

Mine did the same thing. I got so frustrated having to always chase 1 or 2 every night to get them put up at night. So I put them on lockdown for a few weeks and did some more research and someone on this site said to give them a treat at in their house right at dark and they will learn to go in at night. So I gave them a little corn in front of the door and some just inside the door and they started going to roost on their own very quickly. I have really enjoyed my guineas.
I got so i feed them just a bit in the morning, but mostly just as the sun is starting to set. Tonight i was thrilled since they were all in their run when i showed up to close the door!

I have a question: are guineas pairs for lifetime or I can get 1 male and a few females? I did some research and found out that they are pairs and male would mate 1 female only. I spoke to a friend of mine who has lavender guineas and he says all of the eggs are fertile. he has 2 males and 6 females.

I have a question: are guineas pairs for lifetime or I can get 1 male and a few females? I did some research and found out that they are pairs and male would mate 1 female only. I spoke to a friend of mine who has lavender guineas and he says all of the eggs are fertile. he has 2 males and 6 females.
Some guineas can give the appearance of being permanent mates. Most male guineas will mate with any available females even though they may show a preference for one particular hen. Ideally there should be a slightly higher number of hens than cocks in a flock.

I would not recommend getting one male and a few females. I recommend a minimum of 10 guineas for a flock. They are a flock bird and do better in larger groups. The only way to get sexed guineas is by getting adult guineas. If you only have one male and something happens to it, that will leave you without any breeders. Unfortunately there are very many things that can happen to guineas.

Some guineas can give the appearance of being permanent mates. Most male guineas will mate with any available females even though they may show a preference for one particular hen. Ideally there should be a slightly higher number of hens than cocks in a flock.

I would not recommend getting one male and a few females. I recommend a minimum of 10 guineas for a flock. They are a flock bird and do better in larger groups. The only way to get sexed guineas is by getting adult guineas. If you only have one male and something happens to it, that will leave you without any breeders. Unfortunately there are very many things that can happen to guineas.

thank you. if I get 10 guineas, how many males should there be? do they fight like roosters?

Back
Top Bottom