Guinea Fowl Predators

Bobbyee Johanna

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2020
Last night 3/4 of my guinea fowl were killed. No bodies left. My husband went to check on them this morning and only found feathers and blood. The only remaining guinea fowl that was alive flew out of the pen as soon as the door was opened and cannot be found now.
The pen is made of chicken wire within a shed. It is about 4”x7”x10”. When husband went out, the window was pulled open and it looked like something had crawled on top of the pen and bent some of the metal down to get in. There was also a large pile of poop on the floor. He thinks it was a raccoon and is hella mad at my neighbours because they have A LOT of garbage and old vehicles/things in their yard in which the raccoons live. The fowl were purchased as hatchlings on June 7th 2020. We had been letting one out a few times and were about to let two out today.

1. would a raccoon eat the whole body of the bird? And why leave one?

2. What other predators could open a window?

3. If I do get more, how should they be introduced to the remaining lone guinea so that they don’t attack each other (I read some posts about new flocks killing a previous lone guinea when put together)

4. what will happen to my last guinea (if it does come back)? I’ve also read that they could go into a depression if a flock member dies.
Please help me! I am devastated 😔 These birds were a birthday gift and I absolutely loved them. My heart is breaking 💔

Guineas aren't the best things to get attach to (I say knowing darn well I fell hard for all of mine) Is it possible to get her any new flock mates? The coon theory sounds likey. Watch out tonight cause it could come back for her

Guineas aren't the best things to get attach to (I say knowing darn well I fell hard for all of mine) Is it possible to get her any new flock mates? The coon theory sounds likey. Watch out tonight cause it could come back for her
I am a lover of all animals. I can’t help but get attached 😓 it’s a weakness.
I could get some more flock mates. But I’m wondering how they will take to each other? I’ve read a lot about them killing the older lone bird.

Oh my, I don't think mine would've done that. Is your older one male or female? The only fighting issues I've had are if my 2 males couldn't evenly split the ladies. Have you considered chickens? Young pullets would probably take well to the odd dino.

The lone bird isn’t even fully grown yet. They were purchased on June 7th 2020. And the main reason I got them was to control the tick infestation in my yard. I am unsure if chickens will help with that problem?

I am unsure if the lone bird is male or female. We weren’t able to sex them yet.
I want to get more, but I’m so afraid to lose them again.
Any tips on how to integrate them?

At first have a see but no touch barrier for three days (if they are around her size if they are too young keep them separate till they are closer to her size. Guineas grow fast. I call them little inchers cause they grow an inch a day) and then take it down. The pecking order will be strange at first but guineas figure it out faster then chickens.

Okay that sounds doable. I will try that.

While I have you, can you tell me how to sex them? What I’ve read is that you can tell by their call. A male has a one-syllable call and a female has a two-syllable call. Are there any other signs?

Back
Top Bottom