GUINEA FOWL THREAD

I have a question and not sure where else to post this, hopefully ok to post here. I have a mixed flock of 7 guineas and 3 chicken hens and am wondering how it would go if I got 4 more chicken chicks. Do you think there would be any problems with introducing new chickens to a flock with guineas when the chicks are big enough? And what if I happen to get a rooster, can a new young rooster be successfully integrated into the flock? I would really like to get 4 new chicks to expand my flock and raise the chicken to guinea ratio so we get more eggs all year. I do have 4 male guineas and 3 females but one male is handicapped and stays in the coop mostly. But my guineas are actually pretty tame since I am able to spend a lot of time with them. My existing flock members are 1 year old now. Please let me know any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, experience, etc. Or somewhere else I could/should post this question. Thank you!

I've introduced a variety of birds, chickens, ducks, guineas and peafowl at all ages and have been successful. The key seems to be separating them in an area where everyone can see each for two or so weeks. Once I intregate them there's never been a problem. They all get used to each other and it's worked out fine. One issue I did have was reintroducing two injured chickens that had been in the house for about a month to heal up. I put out in a separate area for awhile and when I let them out we had some problems. I gave them a few more days and reintroduced them at night and everything has been fine.

I do have a guinea question though. I've been given a lavendar guinea and I already have a single pearl male that has sight only in one eye. The Lavendar keeps laying down in front of him. Does anyone know what this behavior might indicate? I think it's a young male and has only been here less than a week

Oh thats great news that they should all, hopefully, someday get along, well at least put up with each other when I get new flock members. I just called a local place and going to get chicks tomorrow :jumpy
Thanks nmurry!

About the laying down thing guineas do, its a submissive posture either for mating, as elsfieldchickends said, or when a dominant flock member approaches and they dont want to get beat up. I can sometimes get my male guineas to do that by petting them between there shoulders on their back, but only if they are not the dominant male of the week though, as it seems mine swap roles of being top "dog", well bird. But spring is here and tis the mating and fighting season so if its a girl she wants to mate, if its a boy he doesnt want to get beat up. Im certainly not an expert its just what I've seen with my birds.

This is the submissive posture I have seen my birds do

Thanks for the responses! Good luck with getting chicks. I love this time of year. I've had chicks almost every year and have had no problems. The older ones stick together and the younger ones do the same. Then one day you look out and everyone is hanging out and it's such a great feeling.

I am sure hoping the Lavendar guinea is a girl. Maybe I shouldn't have named her Larry!
1f426.png

HI ya'll been almost a year with my guineas now and im am so happy I love them A LOT, but im pretty they haven't started laying yet
hu.gif
although they are often seen behind my house and in rocky terrain any advice on which season or throughout the year the hens may start to go broody? and how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?
bow.gif
going crazy here from the wait
fl.gif
also if you can tell me if they even are a male and female that will be really nice pictures of em in 3 page of thread

HI ya'll been almost a year with my guineas now and im am so happy I love them A LOT, but im pretty they haven't started laying yet:confused: although they are often seen behind my house and in rocky terrain any advice on which season or throughout the year the hens may start to go broody? and how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?:bow going crazy here from the wait :fl  also if you can tell me if they even are a male and female that will be really nice pictures of em in 3 page of thread

This one is a male he has a bigger waddle

Here is a female she has a smaller waddle

Back
Top Bottom