Guinea fowl welcome?

GoodGuinea

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hello! I started raising guinea fowl about 3 years ago. I live in an area with a lot of ticks. Lyme Disease is rampant, and I was worried about my family. A neighbor suggested guineas as a way to control the tick population. It's been a challenge, but we love having them! We currently have 5 guineas: 2 adult hens, and 3 young ones that only came outside two months ago.

We've definitely noticed a decrease in ticks since we got the guineas. It's also nice having a supply of eggs during the spring/summer. Our problems center around predators, as our property borders a nature preserve, with lots of foxes, hawks, etc.

We also have a big, friendly poodle who sometimes barks at the guineas. He's not aggressive, and the older hens know to ignore him and he'll go away. The young ones usually scatter at first, but then they learn.

When we first got the guineas, I posted my questions on the Guinea Fowl International Forum, which was very helpful. However, they changed their whole format a couple years ago, and it's been a ghost town ever since. I miss having somewhere to go for questions and discussion, so I'm hoping to find a home here even though I don't have actual chickens!

Back
Top Bottom