Guinea fowls 1st egg

cqangie29

Chirping
Mar 8, 2019
Wills Point, East Texas
Hi,
I have (6) almost 4 month old guineas. I just found my 1st egg, but broken and pecked at a lot. So here's the situation with my guineas....I have a set up for them in my 12x20 workshop (it's brand new, haven't even used it as a workshop yet lol). They sleep up in the rafters at night. They free range all day, but only go into the shop to sleep. But recently, 2 of my chickens that are 3 months old began sleeping in there too instead of their coop, so when I found the 1st egg, it was broken and the shell was completely broken up. So not sure if a guinea ate the egg or a chicken. My question is, do guineas need nesting boxes?? I have the material to build it but not sure if guineas use them. This is my 1st time having guineas and chickens. And, are guineas or chickens known to eat eggs?? Thank you!!

When I had guineas, they were in a coop with chickens and the hens would usually lay in or near the nest boxes (they seem to like to dig a little depression and lay their eggs in it). Unfortunately, the guinea hens weren't able to lay in the chicken coop one day at their normal time and began laying in various different hidden spots in the general vicinity of the coop. After that, they wouldn't lay in the coop anymore. In short, they can be trained to lay in the coop and nestboxes, but if they lay outside it, it can be difficult to get them to resume. Perhaps keeping the guinea hens in the coop until they lay and then letting them out would "train" them to lay there again.

I've never experienced guineas eating their own eggs, but I think it's possible, since chickens do eat eggs. Personally, though, I'd look suspiciously at the chickens. ;)

Hi,
I have (6) almost 4 month old guineas. I just found my 1st egg, but broken and pecked at a lot. So here's the situation with my guineas....I have a set up for them in my 12x20 workshop (it's brand new, haven't even used it as a workshop yet lol). They sleep up in the rafters at night. They free range all day, but only go into the shop to sleep. But recently, 2 of my chickens that are 3 months old began sleeping in there too instead of their coop, so when I found the 1st egg, it was broken and the shell was completely broken up. So not sure if a guinea ate the egg or a chicken. My question is, do guineas need nesting boxes?? I have the material to build it but not sure if guineas use them. This is my 1st time having guineas and chickens. And, are guineas or chickens known to eat eggs?? Thank you!!
If it actually was a guinea egg, it was likely laid while the guinea hen was roosting. When guinea hens start laying they tend to drop the eggs wherever and whenever the urge to lay hits them.

Some people make hidden nest sites for their guineas by placing hay or straw bales in such a fashion that it creates a hidden covered nesting area. Guineas are natural ground layers so nest sites designed for guineas should be at ground level.

At least one BYC member has had success getting her guinea hens to use a wheelbarrow as a nest site. Some people have had success with guineas hens and chicken hens sharing nest boxes.

The preferred nest site for most guineas is a hidden site outside. They tend to abandon nests that are frequently disturbed. If you wish to collect guinea eggs, it is best to do so when the guineas are not in the vicinity and to leave a marked egg or a fake egg.

Chickens and guineas both will eat broken eggs as will any number of predators including house cats.

You were asking about building something for them.. This 2' x 3' box inside the henhouse has been invaluable for all my poultry. It's mostly used as a nesting or brooding box but also helps as a place for sick birds and unruly roosters. The guineas love it as a nesting box but since it had a broody hen in it this spring the guinea hens just used the space under the box.

It is hatch day!

DSCN1361.JPG

p.s. I've never had a guinea break an egg and eat it. I suspect the egg broke when it fell and the chicks enjoyed it. The shell on a guinea egg is pretty tough and doesn't break easily. ;)

You were asking about building something for them.. This 2' x 3' box inside the henhouse has been invaluable for all my poultry. It's mostly used as a nesting or brooding box but also helps as a place for sick birds and unruly roosters. The guineas love it as a nesting box but since it had a broody hen in it this spring the guinea hens just used the space under the box.

It is hatch day!

View attachment 1804466

p.s. I've never had a guinea break an egg and eat it. I suspect the egg broke when it fell and the chicks enjoyed it. The shell on a guinea egg is pretty tough and doesn't break easily. ;)
Yes, you're right. They roost up in the rafters, and I'm sure it fell from above, which I figured out after I made the post lol. Thanks for the pic. They free range all day. From early morning till 8pm at night. Then return home to sleep. So I created this nesting area for them. I'm hoping they'll use it since they are out so much

Attachments

• 20190607_113245.jpg
    20190607_113245.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 5
Yes, you're right. They roost up in the rafters, and I'm sure it fell from above, which I figured out after I made the post lol. Thanks for the pic. They free range all day. From early morning till 8pm at night. Then return home to sleep. So I created this nesting area for them. I'm hoping they'll use it since they are out so much
I will make nesting boxes inside too. I have some tubs that will work great

Not sure where you are located but my guineas usually want to start nesting long before the weather is decent enough outside for them to be laying out. That's why a nest inside the building may be important. Later in the year they will find bushes and tall grass to hide their nests. We had heavy snow and rain in May so I was glad my girls were doing their thing inside! ;)

Not sure where you are located but my guineas usually want to start nesting long before the weather is decent enough outside for them to be laying out. That's why a nest inside the building may be important. Later in the year they will find bushes and tall grass to hide their nests. We had heavy snow and rain in May so I was glad my girls were doing their thing inside! ;)
We're in East Texas. It's been warm and hot weather. There is a lot of tall grass and bushes on our property. But they are gone all day in the fields next to our property. They will come back and forth all day, to kinda check in with us lol. I'm sure they'll be laying eggs I'm areas I can't get to lol. Bummer

Attachments

• 1559930348161710457735.jpg
    1559930348161710457735.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom