Guinea Grief

robin416

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
A couple of days ago I realized that one of my girls was hurt. I examined her but found nothing external but I put her up any way to see if forcing her to be quiet would help. It didn't. She died today.

I went down to check on her earlier and found that she had lost whatever battle she was having. I removed the barrier and returned to the house to get what all to remove her body. By the time I returned there were three birds hunkered down around her body so I left to give them whatever time they needed. When I returned the next time her mate was hunkered next to her. I'm not even sure he'd let me near her so for the time being he can stay where he is and if I have to wait until bed time to remove her then I will.

Quote:
hit.gif
hugs.gif
I'm very sad and sorry for your and his loss. It's amazing that birds mourn the way they do. I hope that you'll be able to get her buried and that her mate will be alright in time.

I had terrible luck with my French Guinea hens dying for no apparent reason last year, but they were not mated yet. I think if my last remaining hen died that her mate, my French rooster, would pine away. He is totally devoted to her: It's sweet. All this from a bird that can't figure out to fly over a fence....
hu.gif

My relating what happened here was not about condolences, thank you to all, it was to confirm that losing a member of the flock is a big thing to them. That there is an emotional time for them. Not like with chickens where they will walk over the body of a fallen comrade. In all the years I've kept these guys I have never had the opportunity to witness exactly how they react. Its almost sadder to see the response of the survivors than losing the bird.

I had a guinea rooster for the past year who had bonded with one of the chickens. He'd follow her to the ends of the earth, not letting anyone else eat if she was at the trough, bringing her treats, etc. They'd sleep curled up together. Well, two weeks ago, I found her dead at the bottom of the stairs going up to the coop from the enclosed kennel. He'd been yelling for hours and I should have listened (he was always right when something needed my attention). He very quietly stood next to her, watching me as I pulled her body out from under the bottom stair but flipped out when I was putting her in a bag. Stupid me, I should have just taken her away from him. He started ramming his head against the wall of the coop and screaming, while alternatively looking at the body bag. Well, he broke his neck and died while my neighbors and I watched. I'm in farm country and word has gotten around about "Tango" taking his own life. It's sobered up quite a few people who have no regard for animals, esp. guineas. I just bought two females as I couldn't take the coop without guinea comedy. But no boys....

Quote:
And that is the reason I will not sell adult Guineas and risk splitting up mated pairs.

I don't sell adults just because they are acclimated to here. I have never considered this angle but it makes perfect sense after seeing what I saw this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom