Guinea hen gone broody

found the male guinea roosting on our pen by the nest, lol it was so funny he was just sitting there... Maybe he's going to roost there tonight?
couldn't get the pic on here, sorry.

Quote: If there is no Hen sitting on the nest full time, all day and night... the eggs aren't developing yet.

You need to decide tho, which do you want... keets or chicks from that nest. Most likely you will not get both with a mixed batch of eggs unless a Guinea and a Chicken Hen go broody on it together, and then one stays on it after the chicks hatch.

Keets take a week longer to hatch than chicks do.

I've used sharpie pen on probably over 1000 eggs, as long as you aren't completely coloring all over them it should be fine.

Pencil or a marker that's not water proof will most likely get rubbed off of Hen brooded eggs from all the turning, and the oil from her feathers and body...

Ok, thanks. I waited out there FOREVER but she wouldn't leave the nest. It started pouring and now i'm soaked. I guess that means she'll probably do a good job keeping the eggs warm!

LOL, sorry for laughing but dang that Hen is puttin' you thru the wringer over that nest of eggs, lol. She better be a dang good Momma after all this!

We decided to get rid of the eggs. I wish we hadn't, but it wasn't really ALL my decision.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I just found a nest on Mon with 57 eggs in it. And wasn't thinking and snatched em for the bator. I been looking since one of my whites disapeared same day AFTER I grabbed the eggs. Hoping she is on anther nest somewhere. I went looking again today and found a pair making a new clutch in a fresh nest. In a few days I am going to colect some eggs and either leave a few or replace with chicken eggs.
They seem to hide nest rigt under my nose, last year we had 2 skidsteers running in the barnyard alot. And low and behol thats where 2 hens hatched 32 keets. Surprisingly the cattle or horse didn't seem to notice them either. They will lay again, you can almost be certain.

Back
Top Bottom