Guinea hurt toe

DonnaScott

Chirping
Aug 13, 2019
Turnersville NJ
My favorite Guinea who's fighting with another for pecking order (Blackfoot) got hung up on a fence...looked dead because he was just hanging there when I walked out. Fortunately he wasn't and when I walked up to him he twisted his leg free. His nail was bleeding but stopped quickly (I can not tell if he lost a nail yet) and he put himself up to roost first. It got dark quickly and started pouring rain. He does not want to come out.

Because his feet and nails are black its absolutely impossible to do anything or know for sure. He was limping.

I leave for work before its light out so also impossible to separate him.

Will they peck him to death because they may smell dry blood?

Never know these pain in the asses would be such pain in the asses but I love them and I'm committed (except one, I hate her and call her Dinner). This one is my absolute favorite.

Thoughts on the whole situation please :)

My favorite Guinea who's fighting with another for pecking order (Blackfoot) got hung up on a fence...looked dead because he was just hanging there when I walked out. Fortunately he wasn't and when I walked up to him he twisted his leg free. His nail was bleeding but stopped quickly (I can not tell if he lost a nail yet) and he put himself up to roost first. It got dark quickly and started pouring rain. He does not want to come out.

Because his feet and nails are black its absolutely impossible to do anything or know for sure. He was limping.

I leave for work before its light out so also impossible to separate him.

Will they peck him to death because they may smell dry blood?

Never know these pain in the asses would be such pain in the asses but I love them and I'm committed (except one, I hate her and call her Dinner). This one is my absolute favorite.

Thoughts on the whole situation please :)
I have a guinea hen that got hung on a fence like that. When I went to get her off, she panicked and ripped her toe in such a fashion that all the skin and toenail was hanging off of the exposed toe flesh and the core of the claw. She bled profusely. I used a 30% hydrogen peroxide on the exposed areas very briefly and immediately flushed it off with lots of water. I got lucky and her toe popped right back into the skin and toenail. I taped it securely with medical tape to keep it in place and sealed against the environment.

She limped for awhile. I removed the bandage and tape after two weeks. This occurred at least two years ago, maybe even 3 years ago. She is doing fine still.

Unless your injured guinea was a high ranking one in the pecking order, it should not be picked on anymore than normal. Mine was one of the lowest ranking hens and her injury did not cause her to be picked on more than usual.

If your guinea is a top ranking male, lower ranking males will take the injury as an opportunity to move up in the pecking order.

I have a guinea hen that got hung on a fence like that. When I went to get her off, she panicked and ripped her toe in such a fashion that all the skin and toenail was hanging off of the exposed toe flesh and the core of the claw. She bled profusely. I used a 30% hydrogen peroxide on the exposed areas very briefly and immediately flushed it off with lots of water. I got lucky and her toe popped right back into the skin and toenail. I taped it securely with medical tape to keep it in place and sealed against the environment.

She limped for awhile. I removed the bandage and tape after two weeks. This occurred at least two years ago, maybe even 3 years ago. She is doing fine still.

Unless your injured guinea was a high ranking one in the pecking order, it should not be picked on anymore than normal. Mine was one of the lowest ranking hens and her injury did not cause her to be picked on more than usual.

If your guinea is a top ranking male, lower ranking males will take the injury as an opportunity to move up in the pecking order.
He was fighting for the highest rank and deserved it

My guineas seem to be predisposed to catching their toes on things... We have a younger and older group of guineas. One in the older group got her foot stuck in a wire ramp (which I removed after this injury) when I wasn’t there. Based on blood patterns, she pulled most of her toe off freeing herself. She was already low ranked in the flock, but did stay further away from the group while she was limping. It eventually healed over, minus the end of her toe, and she acts fine now. I have a juvenile group in a new coop, and one of the males somehow hurt his toe. He limped for a few days and it looks like he also lost the end of his toe. I did not see the flock attack him or treat him differently, and he’s walking well now, about two weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom