Guinea just hatched with this on behind...another w/ translucent skin?

riqui1

Songster
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
I am new to guineas and fairly new to chicks, period, so I have no clue what I am dealing with here. I have been trying to read other posts, but no one else is reporting the same problem, as far as I can tell. I just noticed that this little guy has this "bubble" on his behind. It is not yellow, so I don't think it is yolk. It is not red, like hernias are described. I am going to put a pic on here, so hopefully someone can help.

33173_butt.jpg

Is that part of his intestines? I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but it appears that there is a vein in part of it.

I also had another little guy that got out of his egg, with help, and the first thing my son noticed was that he didn't have many feathers on his chest. I grabbed the flashlight and noticed that his skin is pretty translucent. He is trying. He is moving and breathing and making noise. I don't know if you'll be able to tell in the picture, but here it is...

33173_skin.jpg

Have any of you seen either of these two things before? Is there any way to help either of them?

I appreciate anything anyone has to offer...

your first pic shows part of the little guy's intestines or vent protruding- he probably won't make it- sorry to say. The other one looks pretty normal- if you helped in the hatch, part of the feathers may have pullled off inside the shell. this bird may be o.k.- good luck!

Goodness, I've never seen a "protrusion" such as that in the first pic. It looks like clear-ish fluid inside (?) If it were me, I'd leave it and see how it does - at least for a bit. However, it also appears its hock is twisted and/or quite red/inflamed - is this just an odd angle to the pic?

No, there is quite a bit of redness there. I was attributing that to the fact that he has a foot that is a bit twisted up. I am going to have to make a shoe for him, as he keeps falling over. Do you think that redness could be something else?

I have left him in the incubator with the other chick that is trying to pull through, as I was afraid that the other chicks would not leave his behind alone. He keeps falling down on the wire in there, so that is probably not helping the redness...

Do you think I should be putting anything on that, in an attempt to keep it moist? I mean, if it were able to reabsorb, it doesn't seem as if it would be able to do that once it were dry. And if I should put anything on it, what?

I feel so bad for him. I don't want him to suffer, but I don't want to end his life if I don't have to...

Okay, I just went to check on him again and I think that protrusion has almost doubled in size. I believe that I am going to have to figure out something very soon - either to cull or how to help! Any thoughts...

I culled the chick. By the time I did it, the protrusion had become almost 2" long behind him and blood tinged, with a slime. His breathing was labored and he seemed tired. I didn't see any point in letting him go on. I hope I made the right decision, though I don't see where there was anything that I could have done to help him, so...

Thank you for your responses. I have the one left in the bator and am hoping he improves.

Hard as it was to do, you did the right thing. He's not suffering any more. Guineas are very tempermental to hatch- I have done a couple of clutches in the 'bator and had so-so luck- twisted feet- sudden death-etc. I have also let a chicken hatch some and had better luck that way! I have some now that a chicken hen and a guinea mom have taken turns setting on- with pretty good success- but I did have one to hatch last Sunday- seemed very healthy and content- I am raising them seperate from the Momma as she decided to lay her eggs in with the chickens- {not a good place for the little ones}, however it died Wed. night- don't know why- it was eating and drinking fine. Just happens, I guess. Sorry for your loss- but once again- Good Luck with the other one. Janet

Oh, I'm so very sorry. The only guess I can venture on the one with the protrusion is intestines coming out.....I'm sure you did the right thing by the little one. Good for you for having the strength to do so.

How'd the other one doing? I hope well!

too late for this advice,,,, but,,,

Don't help them........

even if they have zipped, they are still absorbing the yolk .. the reason one of them has no feathers on the chest is because it was "helped".. If it survives, it will probably be OK ..

The trouble with people today is they have everything instant.. instant food, instant this and that.

hatching eggs is not instant.. it has a certain amount of time it has to take.. learn to let it rn the course..

He seems to be doing "okay" but I find him a bit stressful for me! I worry that he isn't quite right. I explained in my original post that I had to help him hatch. I did two others as well. They had started and then just quit. I helped them out, as they were starting to dry and stick. When I got them out, they laid down on their sides, stretched out as big as they could and then just quit breathing. It was almost as if they shouldn't have lived, as if something was wrong with them, but they just wanted the feeling of being out of that shell before they let go. I honestly believed that he would be the same way.

He is trying though. He seems to be getting stronger. His peeps are getting louder. The problem that he is having, aside from weakness, is that his shell is still stuck to him. I help him with the dry stuff, when it dries, but there is still quite a bit of wet stuff attached to him. Should I do anything about that or let him work it off himself? Also, this may sound stupid, but he is not drying like the others. His feathers still look wet, when they are, in fact, dry and just very stiff and stuck down to him.

I still also say that his skin is very easy to see through...

Oh! He is up and trying to walk now though...dragging his shell behind him, but he is doing it!!
fl.gif
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom