Guinea just hatched with this on behind...another w/ translucent skin?

It sounds like it's going to be just fine! That wetness is very common, don't worry about it. It is NO indication of health. And, it's also very common that the later hatchers are smaller. They can stay in the bator for 2 full days if need be, so leave him in until you're comfortable he's as dry as he can get. Congrats!

Thank you. I am glad that at least one of them turned out "right." I do hope that he gets stronger soon, as the bator is not smelling very good! lol

Thank you, all, for all of your help and for being there when I needed someone!! I truly appreciate it!!

Sorry, I was mistaken in calling it yolk- albumen is the correct term. The longer you leave it in the incubator, of course, the drier it will get. They should be completely dry before you take them out as they are very susceptible to dampness and drafts. Glad he looks like he's going to be o.k. Janet

Are keets MORE susceptible to dampness and drafts than other chicks? I only ask this because I hear it sooo much from so many different sources. My chicks stay right inside my house for, no less than, the first four weeks of their lives anyhow, so it won't be an issue. I have just been wondering about that.

I took him out a little bit ago to clean off one of his eyes that was crusty, as he wasn't able to open it and to check his toes, as it looked like one wasn't right. All he wanted to do was snuggle down into my hand and, when he finally got himself all snug, it was the only time all day that he has been quiet! I think that I may try putting him in the brooder soon. He is dry now and he just seems to want to be snuggled.
sad.png
Of course, I will sit and watch, just to make sure no one picks on him.

By the way, this one is already named... "Trooper" lol

Again, thank you to all of you!

albumen, that is the word I couldn't think of before..
he.gif

keets are said to be more susceptable to dampness..

but what I think brought that belief on was the fact that keets on freerange with guinea hens do not run to mama when they get wet and then they get chilled and die..

after they get all feathered out, they are very hardy birds..

I noticed this about incubated and brooded chicks, keets and turkeys.. and ducks and geese

(I put them all together for the first few days)

when you put a new one in the brooder,, the others will peck at it.. do not panic.. watch very closely.. what they are actually doing is picking the dried albumen off the newbie.

occasionally, they get rambunctious, and you will have to remove the newbie.. but I have hatched several hundred chicks in the past few weeks and have had to remove only 1 newbie for getting picked on too hard..

what you have to watch out for is blood. any blood spot will get picked at until the chick dies..

Trooper is an excellent choice of name for this little guy. He will probably enjoy the noise and cuddling if the other birds aren't too much older than he(she). Glad things are looking up.
smile.png
Janet

No, all of the other birds in there are either his hatch mates or 2 chicks that just hatched 2 days ago. He is definitely happier in there; he quieted right down. I did notice that he is substantially smaller than the others though. Of course, that may be that he just isn't as fluffy yet too.
smile.png

There was one thing that I noticed, as I put him in the brooder. He left a white substance on my hand that came from somewhere on his behind. When I say white, I mean that it was "white out" white - not clear. What could this have been - any thoughts?

Is there a reason that they peck at each other's faces though? That makes me crazy, but they all seem to do it! lol

Back
Top Bottom