guinea keet - blind in one eye....

Mojo Chick'n

Empress of Chickenville
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Republic of Chickenville
Heya all -

I've been pretty busy lately, so haven't posted, but I had a Q for ya all.

Has anyone ever had a blind or half blind chick? and did they do ok once they matured?

I have 10 guinea keets I got at an auction, and I noticed that one of them has a blind eye. It looks like he has skin that is grown over it, not that it was hurt or damaged - I think he must have been hatched that way.

It doesn't seem to bother him much right now, but he is young, still in the brooder, and the only problem it causes him is he turns in circles sometimes, looking for the others, LOL. Now, being a guinea, he'll be free range, once he is old enough, and I realize the blind eye may cause him some trouble seeing predators.

I was mainly wondering if anyone has had a blind adult bird that did alright, and how long they survived. I am thinking with a small flock to run with, he may benefit from the other's warnings, too.

I have christened him Patchy the Pirate <g>. a friend of mine was going to buy some of the keets off me when they get older, as I really only wanted 5 or 6 of them. I'll be keeping Patchy, though.

Peace -
Meriah

When I bought some guineas at the feed store, one was missing an eye. He is gone like all the others now [they ran off as soon as we released them:mad:
sad.png
] but he was fine other then growing slower.

Back
Top Bottom