Guinea Keets Coming Soon...Have Arrived!

The guineas and the solo chick are 5 weeks old!

I am hearing some buck-wheating from at least one, but mostly just peeps.

Since the temps here have been in the 80s or above, I have stopped using their brooder light. They seem to sleep better at night with it off.

Because the coop is still under construction ( should be move in ready on Friday), my kids and I have been lugging the birds outside for some fresh air and Vitamin D. It's kind of crazy, but what can I say? Step 1, move everyone to the cardboard transport box lined with newspaper and put mesh lid on. Step 2, lug circular wire cage outside (turning sideways to get out the door), and place in partially shaded area of yard near play set for maximum kid enjoyment. Step 3, lug giant cardboard box with birds outside followed by my daughter with lid. Step 4, transfer birds to cage, add water bottles, and put lid on. Step 5, watch birds enjoy grass and being outside and watch kids enjoying birds outside. Step 6, take pool full of dirty shavings to compost, and fill with clean shavings. Step 7, reverse steps to bring everyone back inside.

We introduced white millet to the flock on Saturday and on Monday night we had one GF perched on us eating out of our hands. Today two GFs would do it. My daughter was extremely excited. The rest will eat out of our hands.

On a sadder note, when our original order of 18 GF and 12 chicks arrived, 10 chicks were DOA and one more died within 3 hrs. 3 guineas were DOA, and the other two were gone shortly after. The company I bought them sent a replacement order from the following week and the whole batch was DOA. So that is why we only have 13 GF and the one big fat chick. It was a hassle to get my replacements and then my refund. I didn't want to add that to my running commentary until it had been resolved.

The guineas and chick moved out yesterday and I couldn't be happier. :)

Here is the coop.

I put an inch of dirt from the woods on the floor.

Then I added a layer of grass raked up from the yard.
And finally the pine shavings.

My dad brought up covers he made for the food and water feeders after I took the pics.

Birds are in!

The flock seemed happy inside and everyone was there when I checked this morning.

Since the temps here have been in the 80s or above, I have stopped using their brooder light. They seem to sleep better at night with it off.
How do you know they sleep better? It's in the 80s-90s here now during the day, but at night I've still been putting the heat light on. It varies, but sometimes it's been dipping down to 70. I'm scared they are going to get cold!

Mine at 7 weeks old, mostly feathered, and wattles are starting to show.

I've heard buck-wheats too, but when they start moving around, I can't tell who is who! (Except for the runt and the two with white feathers. :))

Quote:
If you followed the recommended heat guidelines (95°F for first week and reduce by 5°F each week), your keets should have been acclimated 70°F by week 6. Yours should be fine without heat at night if your overnight temps are only going down to 70°F at night.

I have keets that are from 4 weeks to either 7 or 8 weeks and where I am keeping them they are doing fine without any added heat. In their location, the overnight temp is getting down into the low 60°F area.

Good luck.

I felt my Keets were sleeping better without it because they started sleeping through the night after I turned it off. Around 8 pm it would begin to turn to dusk and the Keets would all start to roost. In the morning, they would still be roosting around 8 am, and only start to get up when I went over to feed them. Prior to shutting the light off they would make noise all night long.

They were 5 weeks old when I turned it off, still living in the brooder in my house where we don't have AC or any type of fan in the room they were in, and the temps were high. They continued to eat, drink, and eliminate as before, made the same amount of noise, and weren't showing any signs of discomfort. So I figured they were doing fine.

Thank you for the coop compliment! :)

i think they are really happy in the coop. They are making a lot of buckwheat noise during the day and I see them moving around through the big front screen. I went out late (8 pm) to change their water, visit, drop off some treats, and top off their water, and they were all roosting on the highest bar! They didn't want to come down to eat, so I think I was disturbing their bedtime. :)

My Keets are outside in their coop and the temps are in the mid 60s at night (if we are lucky!) and they seem to be doing fine. I don't have any additional heat source for them. My "night light" goes on from 7-8 pm, and then shuts off.

They all roost up on the highest roosting branch.

The Keets will be 7 weeks old on Monday. They have spent the first of six weeks confined to the coop. My goal is to free-range them during the day.

I switched them over to the Starter/Grower mix and everyone seems happy. They have access to chick grit and I throw in any leftover veg peelings I accumulate from my dad's garden fresh veggies. After my husband mows the lawn I collect grass and through it in the coop. Once a day they also get one or two fried up egg yolks leftover from my egg white breakfast and I crumble up the shells too. I get local free range eggs, so I figure it should be good for them too.

I enjoy hearing their buck-wheat and chirping noises. A few will eat millet out of my hand and perch on my arm.

Their feathers are starting to thin out on their heads and necks.

I am not sure how to get them to start using the chicken nipple watering bucket. They haven't touched it. Will I just have to remove their two quart water dishes and hope they can figure it out?

Your guineas are 3 weeks older than mine, so I enjoyed looking at your pictures to see where we are headed with my birds!

I also am new to guineas, so take this with a grain of salt, but one thing I have heard is that guineas are more difficult to train to nipple waterers than chicks. I hope you have success with it!

Back
Top Bottom