Guinea keets is sick

Casron007

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2022
So I don’t exactly know what is exactly wrong with this keet he is looking kinda lethargic and sickly I gave him some vertrx and some grasshopper because I noticed he wasn’t eating as much and know I’m gonna try to give him a boiled egg any ideas why he is doing this thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 31
So I don’t exactly know what is exactly wrong with this keet he is looking kinda lethargic and sickly I gave him some vertrx and some grasshopper because I noticed he wasn’t eating as much and know I’m gonna try to give him a boiled egg any ideas why he is doing this thanks
Now*

Need more info. How old is it? How long have you had it? Is it w/the hen? If not, are you providing heat? It's in the 90s during the day, but what is your temp at night? Keets need 90° week 1, 85 week 2, 80 week 3, etc.
Lethargic and sickly- is it's bum plugged up? That happens when they're too cold. Gently wash away the white plug, you can use warm water or coconut oil-DON'T PULL PLUG-that will kill keet. Wash it away. (Cont)

Need more info. How old is it? How long have you had it? Is it w/the hen? If not, are you providing heat? It's in the 90s during the day, but what is your temp at night? Keets need 90° week 1, 85 week 2, 80 week 3, etc.
Lethargic and sickly- is it's bum plugged up? That happens when they're too cold. Gently wash away the white plug, you can use warm water or coconut oil-DON'T PULL PLUG-that will kill keet. Wash it away. (Cont)
How about the belly? Distended, discolored, like bruising? Is belly button clean,dry, and closed up?
How about it's stools? Dry, runny slimey,bloody?

It’s

It’s Brest seems kinda skinny could it be wormy somehow
If it's not eating it's crop is empty, it's going to be skinny. You can give 1/2 tab of B complex vitamin in a gallon of water or polyvisol w/o iron or I actually found liquid B complex that can be given -just a few drops- to side of beak so that it doesn't aspirate. That will give it a boost of energy to encourage eating and drinking but you still have the underlying issue to deal with. Please answer questions for better advice.

Sorry that your keet is ill! Are any others sick? How long has this been happening? Is it about a month old? Can it have eaten a foreign object, like string? Does it have access to grit? I find juvenile keets to be pretty susceptible to eating foreign objects, and they definitely need chick grit.

The Emergency forum is a busy place, but Guinea health problems can generally be treated like chicken health problems and the forum has a lot of good suggestions. Have you tried posting there with more details about what’s going on with your keet?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Back
Top Bottom