Guinea missing part of a claw

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taprock, Dec 16, 2010.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

My guinea is about 6 months old. We noticed some blood on the roosts and I found a guinea with a sore foot. I thought that was where the blood came from and stopped looking at everyone else. Today I found another guinea with a missing middle claw. To be exact the inner part of the claw is still there but the hard outer part is gone and it is bloody. He doesn't appear to be limping. I put triple antibiotic ointment on it but am not sure of anything else that could be done. Any one else have experience with claw damage? Does it heal, grow back, fall off?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It should grow back unless the nail root was damaged. Clean it as much as you can, as often as you can, and keep it covered in Neosporin. I think bandages might not stay on at all, so I wouldn't bother with them. It should be fine. I'm kind of surprised the guinea isn't limping on it, but birds are tough as nails, so maybe it isn't as painful as we would think.

Good luck.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Don't worry to much, it will heal. You should probably keep the cage nice and clean, sense it's his FOOT it will get dirty easily. Try and clean it often, and keep neosporin on it like the poster above me said.
    -Becca

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    x2
    I don't know if Guinea nails are more fragile than chicken nails, or whether guineas are more prone to getting their nails stuck in things and spazing out, but this same thing has happened to my guineas a few times (and not my chickens).
    I have done a variety of things- clean and neosporin, clean and blue cote, and nothing at all because I couldn't catch the bird...
    They all got better....

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by