Guinea not laying

GarrettW

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
I have a guinea that's not wanting to lay she was hatched last March, so I think she's old enough to lay. She is also in an enclosed run with only one male guinea the rest are separated. She has even been given eggshell grit. She is for sure a female she makes the 2syllable call and she is smaller than the other guineas.

Is there anyway she could be laying but you are mistaking her egg for someone else’s?

Is she free ranged?
How much light is she getting?

This next one is just a thought. Can you check a guineas pelvis the way you do a chicken to determine if it is laying/close to laying🤔

Is there anyway she could be laying but you are mistaking her egg for someone else’s?

Is she free ranged?

This next one is just a thought. Can you check a guineas pelvis the way you do a chicken to determine if it is laying/close to laying🤔
One sign that guinea hens have when they are laying or about to lay is that their bustle is raised.

If the run/coop area is overly dark, it can prevent a hen from laying. It is length of daylight hours that signals guinea hens to start laying.

Is she free ranged?

She is not free ranged she is an enclosed run, and I think she's getting enough light there is nothing blocking sunlight from coming in. The actual coop is pretty dark though.

I have a guinea that's not wanting to lay she was hatched last March, so I think she's old enough to lay. She is also in an enclosed run with only one male guinea the rest are separated. She has even been given eggshell grit. She is for sure a female she makes the 2syllable call and she is smaller than the other guineas.

She laid her first egg two days ago but hasn't since then.
First time layers can drop their eggs wherever they happen to be whenever they first start. Look around everywhere she could have been for other eggs.

Once they understand what is going on, they may seek a hidden nest to lay in. They won't necessarily lay where you want them to lay.

Last night I just found a hidden nest that I have been looking for, for at least 3 weeks. I was really lucky to spot the hidden hen in a downpour. There were 34 eggs in the nest.

Last edited:
First time layers can drop their eggs wherever they happen to be whenever they first start. Look around everywhere she could have been for other eggs.

Once they understand what is going on, they may seek a hidden nest to lay in. They won't necessarily lay where you want them to lay.

Last night I just fouond a hidden nest that I have been looking for, for at least 3 weeks. I was really lucky to spot the hidden hen in a downpour. There were 34 eggs in the nest.
I haven't looked to thoroughly, but there are some areas where I think she could hide a nest that I need to start checking.

Back
Top Bottom