Guinea pig babies are here! LOTS of pictures- also some questions

Your piggie babies are very cute!! I have had piggies for years and a few babies along the way, i love how they are born as 'mini-me' have all their teeth, hair etc!!

I would. like you say introduce a baby boy to your big boy at 3 weeks (as i am presuming you know that 3 weeks old boys can get mum pregnant?) at that age the big boy should be fine with a baby but it means you can't put the big boy back in with the girls as the boys will fight when you try to put him back in i imagine. If you are using a C&C cage you can have the other 2 girls near to mum and babies and when baby boys come out the older girls can go in. There might be a bit of noise to begin with but as long as there is no blood they should be fine.
Hopefully they will all live happily ever after together!!

Fingers crossed that your boy didn't get to our mama before you got back!!

Quote:
I do know they have to be separated by three weeks. If say there are two or even three boys can I put all three in with Piggy, as I don't like them going to their new homes until at least 5 weeks. Last time we had three cages going one with the boy babies, one with the girls and one with piggy, as he was chasing them around, I think a lot of the problem is the size of the cages they have now though. So you would wait until the babies are at least three weeks old to introduce the two adult girls to them? I can then introduce the two big girls to the mommy(stella) and the girl babies? I will have my C&C cage by then I hope.

No ideas about the exercise pen cage?

Quote:
I do know they have to be separated by three weeks. If say there are two or even three boys can I put all three in with Piggy, as I don't like them going to their new homes until at least 5 weeks. Last time we had three cages going one with the boy babies, one with the girls and one with piggy, as he was chasing them around, I think a lot of the problem is the size of the cages they have now though. So you would wait until the babies are at least three weeks old to introduce the two adult girls to them? I can then introduce the two big girls to the mommy(stella) and the girl babies? I will have my C&C cage by then I hope.

No ideas about the exercise pen cage?

Hello, I am not sure what you are asking about the exercise pen? But I wouldn't try introducing mum and babies to anyone yet as they are still new to her and she will be quite protective of them. Also, you haven't had your other two girls that long have you?? I think they need to stay away from all piggies for a couple of weeks, just to be sure they healthy and are not bringing anything horrible into your herd. They probably don't have a thing but with the new babies i would be careful! When you do introduce your new girls to mama and babies i would put them in a pen side by side to begin with and see what happens, then put them all in a big made up run with lots of piles of food or veg (more piles than there are guinea pigs) so that there will be no fighting over food and keep an eye on them. IT could be they are all fine together but you never know with guinea pigs, they can attack very quickly and you don't want the babies hurt. I am sure eventually though you can have them all in a big enough cage and they will live quite happily together!

As for the boys, you might get away with putting all the baby boys in with your Piggy boy as they might just be young enough for him not to bother too much but i would definitely keep an eye on them. I would also if you are keeping two boys together eventually not have the girls and boys cages next to each other, the boys would definitely fight when one of the girls were in season and when boars fight it is often difficult to keep them from fighting after that and there is lots of blood when they get going!

You were asking about bedding on the bottom of the cage? I see no problem with the shower curtain underneath and you can use old towels or vet bed, do you get that in America?? I am in Scotland so not sure who gets what, lol!! I suppose puppy pads would be ok too, but would their nails catch on it?

Hope this helps?? I am no expert, I am just going on things that have happened with my piggies!!

Back
Top Bottom