Guinea Pig biting problem - need advice

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
Hi all, some of you may remember my post at the beginning of the summer about my daughters' guinea pig that died of heatstroke. After about a month of healing they decided they were ready to get a new friend or two. Another BYCer breeds them and was close enough that we were able to go pick out new babies. The day we went, there were only two girls available in the breed they liked and because my older daughter fell in love with one of those, my younger daughter got the other one. We weren't able to take them home that day since they had just been born the day before (didn't know guinea pigs weren't like other small animals when they are born, they're miniature piggies with fur and teeth and everything!). We had to wait three weeks for them to be weaned which worked out perfectly since the girls were at camp that last week so they got them when they got back.

So, here's the problem. Older daughter's pig is wonderful, super sweet, talkative, everything our last pig was. My younger daughter's pig is not as friendly, talks really loud, and is biting. She's done this since we brought her home. At first we thought it was just because she was so young and once she got used to us it would stop. It wasn't really hard at first, more of a nibble with pressure. Now, she has bitten my mother hard enough to break the skin, and she keeps trying to bite my daughter and got her on the arm the other day.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? They have food and water available all the time, hay most of the time for their teeth, I haven't gotten a chew block yet but I'm planning on it next time I'm at the pet store.

When I hold her while the girls are at school to keep up her socialization (they're still babies) I keep my fingers away from her mouth but that's just a temp. solution. It makes my daughter sad every time she gets bit, not to mention the fact that it hurts. I don't know what to do about this, I don't think trading is an option since my daughter is attached already and I haven't heard back from the breeder to see what to do.
hu.gif

HELP!
barnie.gif

I honestly have no experience with guniea pigs, but since nobody has responded - could it be trained not to bite by smearing bitter apple (can get this at pet stores) on your fingers? Of course, you would have to sacrifice the finger to a bite.
sad.png
Sorry I don't have a better idea.

Quote:
look up how piggy mothers discipline their young and mimic this.

for rats if we make a pain sound "EEEP!" and instantly return them to a time out box (small cage with no bedding and just water, not 'home' - sending them 'home' is a reward). They understand really quick.

I used to raise Guinea Pigs. I've had experience with hundreds of them. Guinea Pigs are sweet natured animals. One in a hundred or so become a biter. I never let these breed and culled them instead. I suggest getting another Guinea Pig for your daughter. When she becomes attached to the new one, you'll probably be able to cull the other one. If you can't personally, perhaps a snake owner will humanely kill it for you.
Dale-Ann

Thanks everyone.

Ropo, I thought of doing that at first but didn't know if that would hurt her since she's small. Might try it anyway.

FireTigris, that's a great idea. I hope I can find that out.

DAFox, I really hope it doesn't come to that. I'd rather trade it back to the breeder if I can. I'm not sure I can convince DH to get another one at the moment. I was hoping there was something I could do to train her out of it.

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! That was exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find anywhere! After reading the article, it sounds like there is hope for the piggie to grow out of it and I will definitely work on the training techniques. I'm about to go find an empty toilet paper tube to put hay in!

Back
Top Bottom