1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea pig mulch, anyone?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Too bad there isn't a WOW I'M AN IDIOT smiley! I realized today.. that I should have been COMPOSTING all of the freakin' litter from our Guinea pig's cage!! Guess I'm just paranoid, since I carefully dispose of all leaves outside that have anything resembling dog poo on them (and of course we don't compost the cat litter).

Anyone else with small animals, would it be possible to put these shavings directly around plants for mulch? Obviously it's mostly shavings with only a little poop (I use twice the litter I'm supposed to in her cage <hey, maybe she's wants to dig a hole!>.. that should be safe?

LOL.. *singing* Cause I'm a blond B-L-O-N-D....

2. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I compost my piggies poop.

3. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I've never heard of it. Goat-doo makes great compost. Guinea pig, eh? I would think the only sort of poo you wouldn't want to compost would be carnivorous-creature poo.

You should do an experiment, with half your beds mulched with the leftover guinea pig shavings and half without. Take pictures and let us see the results [​IMG] That would be neat-O.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by