Guinea Pigs pics and Breeding questions~

SchmidtChicks

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Qld, Australia
Hello- I am SchmidtChick, and I am by no means new to owning Guinea Pigs.

But, it has been a few years! 😅

In September I added 2 young sows to our family, Shirley and Temple, who are beautiful and sweet as beans- Our 3 year old loves to help herself to cuddles and is very gentle about their backs.

Yesterday I decided to add a boar as well, Bojangles, who is not as sweet. He was born July and doesn't appear to have been handled much- Which will change as our daughter and myself love piggy cuddles! 🥰

plus what kind of piggy can deny a tasty carrot, pear, or grape treat!

I'm after advice on the best Age for breeding, and is it safe to pair him with both girls in one enclosure for a few weeks?

I have done some light reading and don't see why it should be an issue, but thought why not ask in case someone else has experience 🙃 He'll be housed alone until we know he's healthy, and until we ourselves are ready for baby piggys.

Bojangles
* aka Jay or Jangles
20201201_135417.jpg
20201201_135423.jpg

Shirley *black / white
Temple *grey / white
20201117_143336.jpg
20201117_143252.jpg
20201127_121028.jpg
20201127_121013(0).jpg

Female guinea pigs have to bred at a young age before 7 months of age. Their pelvis bones must widen to give birth. They are more flexible before 7 months. After that the bones harden and the females can potentially die when giving birth.

If you neuter him and then he can live with the females permanently. Once they are of breeding age you will have pregnant females if you add the male. They go through about a 2 week cycle, so sometime in 2 weeks they would get pregnant.

Also realize if you end up with more males they have a hard time living together, especially with females in the room.

I have heard tell that like rabbits, female guinea pigs will sometimes eat their young. Something to research on. My coworker had a female give birth last month and she ended up eating one of the offspring, and it wasn't right away-- it happened a couple of weeks later. No idea why they do this....probably to drive us crazy with worry. Good luck to you!

Hello- I am SchmidtChick, and I am by no means new to owning Guinea Pigs.

But, it has been a few years! 😅

In September I added 2 young sows to our family, Shirley and Temple, who are beautiful and sweet as beans- Our 3 year old loves to help herself to cuddles and is very gentle about their backs.

Yesterday I decided to add a boar as well, Bojangles, who is not as sweet. He was born July and doesn't appear to have been handled much- Which will change as our daughter and myself love piggy cuddles! 🥰

plus what kind of piggy can deny a tasty carrot, pear, or grape treat!

I'm after advice on the best Age for breeding, and is it safe to pair him with both girls in one enclosure for a few weeks?

I have done some light reading and don't see why it should be an issue, but thought why not ask in case someone else has experience 🙃 He'll be housed alone until we know he's healthy, and until we ourselves are ready for baby piggys.

Bojangles
* aka Jay or Jangles
View attachment 2432300View attachment 2432302

Shirley *black / white
Temple *grey / white
View attachment 2432303View attachment 2432304View attachment 2432306View attachment 2432305
So the female should prob be about 10 and maybe a half month or younger. I don’t think the male is as important age wise and Jangles obviously isn’t senior.😋I noticed u have some sort of seeded food and just to let you know guinea pigs will tend to pick around and only eat the seeds(which can be a choking hazard) when they really need pellets. If your interested in changing I use Oxbow Organic Bounty Adult Guinea Pig Food. Oxbow also carries some young and baby foods to. Good luck with your babies! I’m so excited to see them.😁☺️

Back
Top Bottom